First Time Chicken Owner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spaule353, Feb 22, 2015.

1. spaule353

spaule353 New Egg

Feb 22, 2015
    Hi guys,

I am from Southern California and we are currently building a chicken coop on our property. We are VERY excited, and have read a lot about them, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for a first time buyer... There are soo many types I honestly don't know where to start! Is there a first time breed you recommend? We are looking for friendly, docile, HENS, that are good layers. We want them for their eggs and entertainment. I want to do it right! Excepting all information and recommendations. Thanks :)

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    First, [​IMG]. Next, I caution you, chickens are contagious. With that being said, I have owned several breeds thoughout the years. Buff Orpingtons have been a very docile breed that I have owned (Although Orpingtons come in other colors than buff) . They lay large brown eggs, they are a heavy breed, so not as flighty as others, and have never seemed too noisy either.

1 person likes this.
  3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

It's exciting picking out your flock! You may want to read up on Barred Rocks, Speckled Sussex, Easter Eggers (technically not a breed but they lay such pretty eggs), and my favorite, the Red Sex Link birds (these are a hybrid, great egg layers). I've also heard that Wyandottes and Brahmas are nice birds.

Seems like everyone has their favorites. If you would like to compare some of the breed traits, this chart may help:
    http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

BYC also has an article on how to choose the breed that right for you:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...cken-guide-to-picking-backyard-chicken-breeds

Have fun and good luck to you!

1 person likes this.
  4. spaule353

spaule353 New Egg

Feb 22, 2015
    Thank you sooo soo much! This is very helpful! :) Do recommend just choosing one breed or do you mix?

5. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    If you don't mind waiting a few extra weeks for beautiful colored eggs and want a bird great for any climate (and hours of laughs) I'd definitely go for an easter egger or americaunas (spelling? ) My two keep me in stitches and stocked with green and brown eggs.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  6. Kmath

Kmath Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2015
    Canada
    I have 6 Golden Comets. Basically same as a red or Isa Brown( Red Sex link hybrids). I get an egg an day. Large and jumbo sized. They are know to lay well up to 2 years. Mine are super friendly and I will be sticking with this for our egg business! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  7. paddock36

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Having a variety is great.

8. paddock36

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I have several different breeds of laying hens, but they are for eggs only. I don't keep a roo with them. We have others that we do breed for show and I don't mix breeds with them for that reason.

9. Clearly

Clearly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2015
    Seattle Suburb
    Hi there, and welcome!

I started last year, so I am also fairly new, but I also remember how important it was to do things right, and all the excitement. And I have to say, my chickens still excite me every day. Even when there are problems, not once have I had one regret. In fact I'll be hatching eggs starting tomorrow to add to my little back yard flock.

I've been the most happy with my Buckeye, whom is smart, alert, the first to run to me when I call, and the breed is even known for catching rodents, so no pests! She lays all the time, too! My buff Orpington is definitely the most calm, by far the largest, and a bit boring, but a great bird and layer as well. My Dominique, also a layer, will jump into my lap when I call her. Then I have three wyandottes, and they have been a handful. They're like bratty teenagers with three distinct personalities. And they barely lay during winter.

But since it was all brand new, I think I can offer the "what I would have done different" from a fresh perspective. I researched breeds like crazy, but mostly I wanted pretty birds, so I got three different colors of wyandottes because they are common and gorgeous. I wish I'd mixed it up a bit, and more than that, paid attention to what breeds pick on other breeds. Most breeds accept a flock of many colors, but some do not, and it is one thing to read about chickens picked on, and another to see it in your own little girls that you love so much.

Hold your chicks all the time, get them used to your voice, and they will follow you everywhere when they're older. Mine bow down to me to show that I have dominance; I am their rooster. It's super hilarious.

And lastly, remember this: you're not going to do it all right, there will be that breed you "should have gotten," and next spring you'll just bend your rules and restrictions to buy more anyways, like I have! So it doesn't matter! Have FUN! And I can't wait to hear what you settle on!

And any questions from newbie to newbie, I love to chat! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by