First time chicken owners and already dealing with a major chicken injury! Any suggestions are great

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BiblioKat, Jul 28, 2014.

1. BiblioKat

BiblioKat New Egg

Jun 16, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    This is my first time on BYC and I am loving the information already available. We have had our 3 Rhode Island Reds for about 2 months and have a nice sectioned-offed area in our backyard for them. Unfortunately, we also have a Basset Hound and a Blue Heeler. One of the 3 hens decided to hop the fence (after her wings were clipped!) and landed on top of the hound. The 2 dogs pawed at her pretty thoroughly before I could rescue her. My son wanted to put her out of her misery but she seemed so alert and normal (other than her "zombie-like" appearance) that I couldn't do it. This is the 6th day after Joan's injury and she seems to be mending well. We have been using scarlet oil, antibiotic cream, and vitamins for her wounds. She may still need to see a vet for some of the excess tissue damage. I wouldn't begin to know how to stitch her up. We are open to any suggestions that will improve her healing and comfort. She has been eating and drinking normal amounts and seems very cheerful considering how terrible she looks. Joan is super tough and we are amazed at her spirit! Thanks in advance for your help!

These are the extensive injuries...
    Her right side is the worst. No punctures but tons of tissue damage. She still extends her wing all the way and I cannot see any broken bones. She stands on both legs but favors the injured side. I'm sure she is very stiff.
    [​IMG]
    Her neck hasn't given her any trouble and seems to be healing rapidly despite how awful it looks.
    [​IMG]
    She is a super-trooper! Her temporary abode...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    That one wound looks pretty bad...you might have a vet look at that one. Also I'd recommend using Vetericyn Spray on the wounds. She is undoubtedly super stressed..keep her as quiet as possible, and make sure she at least drinks fluids.

3. BiblioKat

BiblioKat New Egg

Jun 16, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Thank you iwiw60. We are using the spray you mentioned. She drinks a full bowl (standard dog size) of water each day and we are putting vitamins in it for her. She's been very calm and allows me to clean her up each day with no fuss. I think she is as comfy as she can be. We have a farm vet who comes twice per month to a local feed store here in town. I hope to keep her wounds clean and her comfortable until we can get her in to see him. Our regular vet doesn't handle chickens but has been very helpful in pointing us to appropriate ointments and sprays for her. I appreciate the info.

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    You are to be applauded for your untiring efforts to save your girl....kudos to you! Please keep us updated as to her progress...wishing you all the best!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by