First time chicken owners, first time coop builders

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wholehearted, May 7, 2011.

1. wholehearted

wholehearted Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Ohio
    This is our first year with chickens. We have 26 Freedom Rangers who will be moving to the chicken tractor soon (if this crazy Ohio weather ever turns). Dh built the tractor a while ago. Had to build a bigger brooder for the Rangers last week. Then our adorable 18 layer chicks arrived this week as well. [​IMG] We've been slowly working on the coop when the rain allows, but dh is finally making some good progress this week. We're not done yet, but I'm so excited that I thought I would share our progress so far. FTR, dh is very handy and often builds small things for around the house, but he's never built anything big before. I think he's doing fantastic for his first time, but he says not to look too close for all the mistakes. [​IMG]

Dh and fil just getting started. We are attaching the coop to an existing shed. Coop will be 16X8 with a small part of that reserved for storage.
    [​IMG]

First walls up...with windows!
    [​IMG]

Final wall up with the remaining windows. We got all the windows from a Habitat ReStore.
    [​IMG]

Roof started. I think all of the steps of the roofing process were difficult...it was a trial and error process for sure.
    [​IMG]

Shingles, roof vent, and some siding!!
    [​IMG]

Finished the siding on front, back, and side.
    [​IMG]

Side view
    [​IMG]

This is the back where the chicken door to the run will be...have to finalize my interior setup to decide where the door should go. Tomorrow, we're hoping the weather will cooperate to put on the trim and start painting. After that, interior and run construction. I'll post pics as we complete more!!
    [​IMG]

2. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    Can I move in? Nice!

3. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

beautiful - I want to see what you do with the inside too [​IMG]

4. wholehearted

Feb 26, 2011
    Ohio
    Paint...take 1! Hard to tell in the pics but it ended up being way too light and didn't match the existing shed very well.
    [​IMG]

Trying again with the next darker color. Ah...much better. Fascia is painted too. Dh needs to put gutters and the remaining trim on the outside. Then we can begin working on the inside! Guess I should figure out my interior design.
    [​IMG]

5. DFamilyChicks

DFamilyChicks Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Bellingham, WA
    Wow! What a beautiful coop. Looks more like a CONDO!!

Kris

6. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Looking good [​IMG]

7. Player Hater

Player Hater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    wow nice job

the only thing i would change is the turbine vent, those things are useless

8. macadam8157

macadam8157 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    NC, Raleigh
    Looks great. They truly did an EGGCELENT job. LOL

9. wholehearted

Feb 26, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks everyone! We are really excited about our coop! Can't wait to get it done since it is starting to feel like it's taking forever!
    Quote:We've used them in the past and they actually seem to move the hot air up and out pretty well when conditions are right. I wouldn't count on them in the ventilation design (we haven't), but I wouldn't call them totally useless either. [​IMG]

10. Lytlechick

Lytlechick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Rome
    Sweet coop, wheres the hot tub? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by