First time chicken owners.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DanaLWhelan, Apr 16, 2017.

1. DanaLWhelan

DanaLWhelan New Egg

Apr 16, 2017
    Hi! my name is Dana Whelan. I am currently in the process of moving in with my boyfriend. We're interested in getting chickens once we feel we have enough information and understanding on how to care for them. That's why I'm here! I want to make sure I don't jump into getting an animal until I know for certain I can care for them properly. If everyone wouldn't mind, I would love tips on good/reliable coop brands, tips on how to keep predators away, tips on caring for them, etc... We plan on getting 4 to 5 hens for eggs, but I plan on caring for them and treating them as any other house pet. We will be inheriting cats, indoor/outdoor. Will I have to take precautions to keep them away? (I know every cat is different but I'm asking kind of in general) Thank you so much for the welcomes and advice in advance!

2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Hi Dana, Welcome to BYC! You've come to the right place...be sure to check out the Learning Center for all the how-to's. There are forums on every possible question that might come up, or you can ask your own.
    As for cats, I have never had a problem w cats and chickens. Just keep them apart when the chickens are small. Our cat actually likes our chickens and considers them her family.
    Good luck ! It will be fun!
    Sue

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Howdy! Welcome to the flock! The best advice I can give you is to start small. Resist getting all those cute chicks. There is lots of information out there and you'll have to see what works best for you in your part of the world. Remember, chickens are the perfect prey item for any predator and putting chickens in a coop makes them easy pickings. Build the strongest coop you can afford-chicken wire is useless unless fortified with hardware cloth. I wouldn't trust cats around chicks unless they have been raised around broody hens who have made the cats respect them.

Good luck with your chickens, start small, learn a lot, and most of all enjoy them. They are the best backyard/farmyard pet in the world!

1 person likes this.
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Dana, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! The Learning Center is a great suggestion - it will provide you with a very sound basis for your undertaking. In terms of coops, the general consensus is that store bought coops are by and large undersized for the number of birds the manufacturer claims the coop will hold, and weakly constructed. I know there are exceptions but I know the ones I've seen for sale at farm and ranch stores aren't exactly built to last. If you folks are at all handy you might consider constructing your own. Lots of folks re-purpose materials - old playhouses, pallets, etc. and make some awesome coops. The Coops Section has lots of plans and designs: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops
    Also, don't know here you are located but you can chat with some local poultry folks in your state thread in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Best wishes to you and your future flock and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  5. DanaLWhelan

DanaLWhelan New Egg

Apr 16, 2017
    Does everyone find it best to start out with chicks rather than getting hens from the beginning?

6. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Lots of people start out with hens, or young pullets soon to begin laying. Raising baby chicks is a lot of work and there are the several months of waiting for the first eggs.

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Dana [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice and links to some good starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Since you have cats, I would suggest grown chickens- they will teach the cats a lesson if need be. Their care is much easier. Once they are settled in they should start laying eggs for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by