First time Chickeneer!Baby born with odd toes. (Photos)

Phaylen

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 15, 2012
My chicken family was botn in the last week of October. I lost one after exhaustive research to severe slipped achillies tendons in both legs. He could only walk on his elbows. His name was LowRider, and was loved dearly until his death. My chicken, and I have 21, I've incubated and saw come into this world, they are like my kids, each with a name and distinct personality. I do have two "Handicapable" chickens which I will take extremely special care of. One is a Hen with curled toes but she gets around well, and the other, Sidewinder, his one leg is completely splayed. He is otherwise in all ways perfectly fine.

However there is this little girl. She is a black silkie. She was born at the same time as her eclectic brood of siblings, but for some reason is less than half the size of them today. She has a very unbalanced gait. She curls up under her heatlamp and tries to stay away from the others, although some of the silkies, (Which my husband calls "The Mafia") will pick on her mercilessly, pecking her toes, sitting on her. She has stolen his heart due to her seeming slowness and he carries her around in a pouch with him all day. We thought we have investigated her little body for signs of illness or disease. She legs seemed fine, she just seemed much shorter than her same-breed siblings. No caking, no signs of refusing to eat or drink (Although we hold her while she does. She is just not fast enough to compete sometimes.) And last night as we petted her, we noticed her toes were very peculiar. I am very new to raising chickens and wondered if you could tell me if her toes are normal? It seems she has two small toes growing off the same root (or knuckle) on both feet. Any help is much appreciated.

Silkies have open skulls and are very prone to brain injury. If she is getting picked on this may be a reason for her weakness in her legs. Her toes look fine but you will have to keep the claws trimmed if she does not walk enough to keep them worn down. They are curling under and will make is even harder for her to get around. You can trim them with regular people clippers or file them with an emery board. Good luck with your handicapable chickens!!!

Back
Top Bottom