First Time Chickens, First Coop Build (Pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cbask11, May 29, 2010.

1. cbask11

cbask11 New Egg

May 29, 2010
    Take a look at my chicken coop I just finished building. Any suggestions would be great. I have six, teen week old chicks and the sex is still unknown. This is my first time owning Chickens and building a coop. Let me know what you think! The Measurements are 8ft by 5ft by 6ft.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. illegal avian

illegal avian Cooped up

Apr 21, 2010
    Third World, Texas
    Functional. Best looking, most well thought out, and sturdy looking tractor to date. [​IMG]

The handle on that door had me wondering is it charcoal or gas? [​IMG] It is just so totally efficient looking I thought it might do it all! [​IMG]

3. Kathryn4629

Kathryn4629 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Colbert, WA
    WOW!! that is one good looking tractor!! [​IMG]

You want to comeover and build me one??? [​IMG]

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    That is GREAT! I wonder if it would be possible to build a Coop with that style, but no run? My chickens have a run, but if I could do a coop like that, it seems simple so that even I could tackle it! (NO OFFENSE OF COURSE! great coop!)

[​IMG]

5. I-LOVE-INCUBATORS

I-LOVE-INCUBATORS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2009
    indiana
    nice coop i couldent build that i would have to pay some1 to do that for me.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

REALLY well done!!

My first coop was an A-Frame, too. (I don't call mine a tractor because I built it so heavy I couldn't move it in a million years.) Mine certainly doesn't look anywhere near as professionally constructed as does yours!

Your chickens will be very happy and secure in it.

7. cbask11

cbask11 New Egg

May 29, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the complements! As simple as it looks to build, cutting all the angles is harder then it seems. Luckily I have a good friend whose an expert and helped me out quite a bit! In Response to building this without the run, yes, it would be quite simple because plywood is cut 8ft long which is how tall my coop is, so there could be significantly less cutting involved. Thanks again Everyone!

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  8. cbask11

cbask11 New Egg

May 29, 2010
    Quote:Trust me, this coop is not light! It easily weighs about 160lbs. My wife is not able to move it even with the wheels, although she is a small girl [​IMG][​IMG]

9. cbask11

cbask11 New Egg

May 29, 2010
    Quote:Thanks, i'm glad you like it! I have actually thought about building several more and selling them but I don't know how good the market is and considering it cost about $400 in parts I dont know how much it would even sell for [​IMG]

10. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    GREAT coop. The only thing I would recommend is some perches in the nesting area. Your girls will prefer to sleep on a perch when they are in for the night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by