First Time chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HuntSam, Mar 6, 2014.

1. HuntSam

HuntSam Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2014
    Hello from Huntsville, TX

My wife and I are raising chickens from chicks for the first time starting today! This site has been incredibly helpful for gathering information so I figured, Why not join?! We are starting with four chicks in a brooder box made from a plastic tub with a heat lamp in the lid. The only question I have is whether a bowl would be ok to source water for now? I bought a 1 gallon drinker but it just takes up too much space in the box. I will use it in the coop when we move the chicks outside.

2. akelley

akelley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Conroe, TX
    Welcome! I live in Conroe, just south of y'all!

I would not recommend an open source of water like s bowl for new chicks. Babies are at risk of drowning. Also once they get a bit bigger they will be walking in it and pooping in it, and turning it over, etc. Even little chicks are curious and get into things.

I would stay with the one gal. Waterer until you can find an alternative. This year in my brooder I have nipple waterers set up. Do a search here on chicken nipples and see if they might work better for you. I have mine in 20 oz. Bottles. They ones for my grown birds are installed in 5 gal. buckets.

There's lots to learn on here. I rarely have to ask auestions, the info I need is usually right here!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Yes, any container, as long as they can access it, will work for water. Just make sure they can't fall in and drown. You can put stones or even rocks in the container so they can't fall in. You can get quart waterers at all feed stores. They take up little space. Make sure not to cover your brooder with any lids. A wire screen or hardware cloth will work well and still allow for good heat and oxygen exchange.

Good luck with your new babies and enjoy BYC!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3, as long as they can reach the water and can't fall in and drown any small container can work, adding rocks or marbles is a good idea.

5. HuntSam

Mar 6, 2014
    I am going with a bowl with marbles for now. Tractor Supply was out of quart drinkers. I ended up with two Bantams, 2 white pullet mixes, and 2 red pullet mixes. I look forward to this adventure!![​IMG]

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC. [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    we want to see pictures, please

10. HuntSam

Mar 6, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How old are they to have these feathers growing? I was not told when I got them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by