1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time coop building - wood types

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jrb599, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Jrb599

Jrb599 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    I'd like to know what kind of wood to use for my chicken coop. This includes what type of wood. Whether it should be painted or not. And whether it should be treated or not.

Also, do your chickens pick at the wood at all?

Thanks

2. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin

3. Jrb599

Jrb599 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    So why did you use treated wood for only the posts? Why not the whole thing?

4. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    The posts were sunk into the ground 3' in concrete....so they would be in contact with the ground at all times.

We also used treated for the outside framing of the floor...they would possible be exposed to the weather.

Then inside that frame we used regular construction grade wood with regular 3/4" plywood on top. (To save on the cost of the coop)

We also used 2x3's for wall framing instead of 2x4's. We also added a primed siding product that came in 4' x 8' sheet.
    I believe it is an exterior siding. it has fake grooves every 5" or 6" i think, with an over lapping edge. (just nail it up easy!)

The size of our coop is 16' x 10' (we have 40 chickens...lol)

You can use whatever you feel comfortable with. We tried to keep our costs down as much as possible. With that said it still cost a lot.
    We did have some things already. but not much.

I did find a $13.50 pre-hung metal door with a window in it and 3 free windows from our local habitat for humanity resale store. I did a lot of shopping there. They have every thing.

5. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I used treated wood for the floor framing, and regular lumber for the rest of the framing. I used a product from Lowes called Smartside for all the sheathing. Used pine for all the trim. I painted everything, inside and out. As far as to the birds picking at the wood, Had no problems at all, they're chickens, not woodpeckers.
    Jack

6. Jasonp7007

Jasonp7007 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2016
    Somerville Texas
    This is a good thread. I am about to start on the adventure of building a bigger coop (12x30), and this will help a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by