First time culling (5wk old) cockerels

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Toddrick, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    It has come to this. I've read a few threads, and I think how it is done is mostly about preference. My preference is to use a shoestring nuse. I figure it will keep the bird relatively quiet and stop blood to the brain at once. Before I tighten it I was going to use some ether to make it as comfortable as possible. It sounds fool-proof to me, I just want some second opinions to make sure there is no flaw in my plan. I don't want to do a halfway job.

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

5 weeks! That sounds awful young.

3. Toddrick

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana

Well, I'd rather grow them out and eat them and instead of burying, but I don't want fighting in the brooder, and I don't want to feed and cleanup after birds that I'm not even keeping. Is this wrong? Frankly, I just don't want to get too attached by investing much more time with them.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've not culled at that age, or with that method, but it doesn't sound as quick as decapitation or cutting the throat. I don't know if they're too old for a CO2 chamber at that age but I've had good luck with it on new chicks. If you read through this entire article, there's good evidence it's a pretty humane way to go, but you have to follow the concentrations, not just flood them with CO2.

http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/

5. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

It really does not sound very quick. Could you not re-home them? I know it is hard to find a home for cockerels, and some people see it as throwing a burden onto someone else, but if you really do not want them that much and will not eat them, if you would be something to think about.

6. Toddrick

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    Will the jugular vein and carotid artery not squeeze off when compressed? I assumed my method would be as quick as using a razor and funnel, except without the blood, because it would block blood flow to the brain. Plus, I intend for them to be unconscious when I do it, so their should be minimal struggle. I love animals and want to be very humane, but also minimally traumatic to myself.

I would much rather rehome them, but I don't know anyone who wants a rooster. No one has responded to my ad. They are starting to spar a lot, and I don't want them to poke out an eye or anything.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by