First time dealing with an illness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DaisysHens, Aug 19, 2014.

1. DaisysHens

DaisysHens New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    Hello, my red star hen who is 3 years old is starting to be a bit strange. She used to be closer to 5 pounds, but is now lighter, more like 4 or 3.5lbs. She is more calm than usual, however, she is still able to run, eat and drink all normally. I've been noticing her cluck has changed, it's more sad sounding. For the past two days, she's having trouble keeping her balance when stepping up or stepping down from somewhere and puts a wing down to support herself, and she also keeps squatting, with her tail not up. Last week, she laid two miniature (smaller than my bantam's) eggs and then stopped completely. She is the only out of my 6 hens to be exhibiting any symptoms. There is no sign of trauma and I have no idea how this has happened. I have not seen her poop in the last two days, although I will admit I have been busy and not checking too much, however, her whole backside is covered with crunchy, dry stool. I have not treated her in anyway, and cant find any diseases which match hers. I doubt that I will be able to bring her to the vet or supply expensive prescriptions. I use pine bedding and they are free range.

Thank you, Daisy

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. coppertop2014

coppertop2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    Bend, Oregon
    My Coop
    Post a pic or video
    Welcome!!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  3. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi there, I really don't have any idea what's going on with your hen. However, make sure you clean off her bum and feathers of the poop. In this humid weather it doesn't take much for flies to start laying eggs. If you can sit her in a tub of warm water and soak the poop off, the warmth of the water may help whatever is ailing her. It doesn't sound like she's egg-bound, but just in case rub some olive oil around her vent to stimulate and ease passage of a possible egg. If she tolerates the bath, you might try it on a daily basis to see if it helps, good luck [​IMG]

4. coppertop2014

coppertop2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    Bend, Oregon
    My Coop
    Yea

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

She has lost a LOT of weight. Using her wing for balance may mean she is getting weak. Have you wormed her recently? Check her for lice and mites. You do not see any wounds on her do you? You need to put her in some type of a pen so you can tell us what her poops look like.

6. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Curious as to the outcome .........

7. jgoldy2

jgoldy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2014
    Colorado
    Welcome to BYC, Is molt a factor? that is all that I can think of

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Have you wormed your chickens lately. A large load of worms can kill a chicken if she is not wormed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by