First time "doing it"

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Red Tie, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Red Tie

Red Tie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Metamora, MI
    Well today was the day. Seven weeks old today. We processed three Cornish X roo's. Live weight on the largest was nine lbs! Dressed out to seven lbs. Next two were both 8 live and dressed at six each. My dad did the killing and I plucked and learned how to gut and finish. It took us about an hour and fifteen minutes for the three but I guess it is a newbie thing. He hadn't done one in thirty five years and I never had! It went very well. Plucking was actually easier than I thought it would be for sure. Sticking your hand into the hot chicken body was a little freaky.....I don't know why I didn't realize they would be hot inside. I guess I was thinking of cleaning out a store bought bird. I am trying to figure out the picture posting deal. I have some before pics.....My pc is having a tough time with it right now.

So, three roo's brining and resting in the barn fridge.....

Jane

[[​IMG]img][/img]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Wow ~ big one! Do you mind me asking where you got them from? I'm trying to figure out where to get mine from if I go that route.

3. Red Tie

May 30, 2008
    Metamora, MI
    These came from Meyer. I bought them when they went on sale....but their regular price is like .86 a piece if you buy more than 11 or something like that. I did use the vitamin/electrolyte package they recommend. All birds are completely feathered and pretty active for Cornish. This was a picture of the 9 lb. guy.

I just didn't think they were as awful as some had warned. They were docile, friendly and easy to live with.

Give them a try, I'm glad I did!

Jane

4. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Awesome! (Though to be honest...I'm not sure friendly would be a good thing in the whole "not treating them like pets" thing! ;-) ) They're way prettier in that picture that all I've heard of, too! hehe

5. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    asher, i think jane also said she fed the broiler show chow. my friends feed their's turkey show chow. show chow will make them very big. that's what the kids that show at houston livestock show and rodeo feed their broilers and they're usually wider than they are tall.

great looking bird jane!

6. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Now that's a meat bird.

7. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    [​IMG] Way to go!!!!! They are gonna be yummy!!!

8. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    hmmm...show chow...never heard of that before! Do you have to order that special or will most feed stores have it?

9. Red Tie

May 30, 2008
    Metamora, MI
    Yes, I had to have my feed store order it for me. It was worth it though!

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:I don't know why some people think they are hedious either. I did jumbo cornish last fall and they were gorgeous birds. Fully feathered, healthy and docile sweet birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by