first time duck owner! help?!?!

ducks are great

In the Brooder
Nov 15, 2019
hey everyone! i’m getting my first ducklings soon (from tractor supply) and will probably be getting pekins. i have some questions because i want to prepare for them asap.
1) what food is best (i am like 90% sure there is no duck food at tractor supply because i didn’t see any, so would chick starter work?)
2) and then treats! what kind of treats do ducks like (what kinds of fruits, vegetables, bugs, ect) for them?
3) so could i use a storage container as a brooder for them and what age should we move them to an adult coop?
4) has anyone tried using harnesses on their ducks and where do u recommend getting them (and duck diapers) from?
5) indoor house ducks! does that work or should they be outside full time, half indoor half outdoor, or what?
thanks!

Congrats on the new ducks! They are so much fun and I'm sure you can't wait to get them :)
Lots of people are here to help but I can give a little info.
You can get regular chick feed but make sure it is non-medicated for ducklings. You will want to add extra niacin to their feed as well since ducks need more than chickens.
Awesome list of treats here and it lists which treats are good for ducklings and at what age to give them. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements.242460/
You can use a storage container as a brooder, we have and it worked great while they were little. The ducklings are going to grow so very fast so you may want to think of a 2nd bigger setup as they grow. Where you live may be a factor in when they can go outside, they should be fully feathered around 2 months I believe.
There are some folks on here with indoor ducks and they would have some good info for you. Do not underestimate how messy they can be but it can work :)

1) what food is best (i am like 90% sure there is no duck food at tractor supply because i didn’t see any, so would chick starter work?)
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Most chick starter does not have enough niacin for ducklings who need a minimum of 55mg/kg of feed.

I contacted Purina and their Flock Raiser product (sold at TSC) does have this amount despite not being required by law to be listed on the label. I have raised both chicks and ducklings successfully on this feed as well as being readily available with a recent mill date. It has 20% protein. Giant Pekin can require closer to 70mg/kg of niacin to feed. Some folks use brewers yeast as a niacin supplement.

I would not recommend ducks indoors long term... they and you will both be happier with them outside. (once mature enough) ;)

Check out this site, my link is to their nutrition information but there's tons more good info at Metzer...
https://www.metzerfarms.com/NutritionalRequirements.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=24649402

Pics always welcome! :pop

Hope you have a fantastic adventure! :wee

Congrats on the new ducks! They are so much fun and I'm sure you can't wait to get them :)
Lots of people are here to help but I can give a little info.
You can get regular chick feed but make sure it is non-medicated for ducklings. You will want to add extra niacin to their feed as well since ducks need more than chickens.
Awesome list of treats here and it lists which treats are good for ducklings and at what age to give them. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements.242460/
You can use a storage container as a brooder, we have and it worked great while they were little. The ducklings are going to grow so very fast so you may want to think of a 2nd bigger setup as they grow. Where you live may be a factor in when they can go outside, they should be fully feathered around 2 months I believe.
There are some folks on here with indoor ducks and they would have some good info for you. Do not underestimate how messy they can be but it can work :)

their coop should be ready by the time they are old enough and thanks

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Most chick starter does not have enough niacin for ducklings who need a minimum of 55mg/kg of feed.

I contacted Purina and their Flock Raiser product (sold at TSC) does have this amount despite not being required by law to be listed on the label. I have raised both chicks and ducklings successfully on this feed as well as being readily available with a recent mill date. It has 20% protein. Giant Pekin can require closer to 70mg/kg of niacin to feed. Some folks use brewers yeast as a niacin supplement.

I would not recommend ducks indoors long term... they and you will both be happier with them outside. (once mature enough) ;)

Check out this site, my link is to their nutrition information but there's tons more good info at Metzer...
https://www.metzerfarms.com/NutritionalRequirements.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=24649402

Pics always welcome! :pop

Hope you have a fantastic adventure! :wee
the purina chick starter?

1) I've raised many ducklings on chick starter/grower. Flock raiser is also a good option. Tsc does have duck feed but it's tiny bags that might feed my 3 ducks for one day.
2) Mine haven't been too keen on treats besides grass. They love grass.
3) They will grow quickly and they are a million times messier than chicks. You can use a storage container but they will outgrow it fast. I've raised ducks in a bathtub. Messy but effective. If it's cold where you are, they need to be fully feathers and then acclimated to the colder temps. 2-3 months. If it's warm, I let them have day trips outside.
4) I have no experience with that.
5)Ducks are the messiest creatures ever. Their poop is more liquid than chickens. They poop constantly. Dander and fluff sheds everywhere. They like to swim and splash. They need to take drinks of water when they eat and dip their bill in water to clean out their nares, often spilling food and water everywhere. I wouldn't keep a duck inside.

Hi and welcome to the BYC flock!!!
As mentioned above the flock raiser is best to put them on for growing. A storage container will do, but be aware ducklings grow fast. I personally do not recommend indoor ducks as they are messy and smelly. I had a special needs pekin that soon as he was old enough went outside with everyone else. They also LOVE being outdoors. Best of luck with you new babies and post pictures when you get them settled!!!

the purina chick starter?
No, Flock Raiser...
Purina_FlockRaiser_Crumbles_25lb-5lb-bag_1.png

Hi there and congrats on your duck adventure! I the greatest! Look for high protein feed especially in the winter. Treats..peas...worms..meal worms..but they get expensive..mine love vegetables...the inside of squash, they love seeds.like sunflower seeds...pumpkin...banana. peels...strawberries...grapes...cantaloupe...corn cob...
As for attention..they love their beaks stroked...and head. As for their living arrangements..I am a firm believer that ducks are happier outside. They don’t need tv..they need grass, and sunshine, and grit, and puddles...as for diapers..good luck! I just read a thread with a woman who has a duck inside and she says poop gets out all the time.. they pick at it, it leaks, etc...she said it’s a constant cleanup and she said it’s a ten yr commitment to having a two year old..becaonce they are inside ducks..they can’t live outside..they don’t know how to...something to think about. Personally...I rescued many ducks..and it’s the best feeling to see them running all over..swimming..just being ducks...good luck whatever you do and enjoy them!

Back
Top Bottom