1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

First time duck owner

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Clo-duck, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Clo-duck

Clo-duck In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2018
    Yesterday I purchased my first two point of lay khaki campbells! I purchased a bowl for them to eat out of but they don't seem to be eating out of it, but will eat when their food is on the floor? Shall I just continue to feed them off the floor or keep trying with the bowl or try a feed skip?

GracieJ and Miss Lydia like this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member 8 Years

:welcome

Do you know how they were fed at their other home? I like to keep feed in a bowl [a lot does get on the ground] but I think it's better it stay off the ground to keep it from getting too dirty and maybe getting pooped on. Do they have access to fresh water close by? ducks need water to eat.

Congrats on your 2 new KC's

GracieJ and Clo-duck like this.
  3. Sakiza

Sakiza Chirping

Jan 30, 2018
    Upstate NY
    Congratulations! How old are you duckies?

Clo-duck likes this.
  4. Clo-duck

Clo-duck In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2018
    No unfortunately I don't know how they were previously fed. I will continue to feed them from a bowl yes they have access to a large pool in their enclosure as I am keeping them in for a week so they learn where they are being fed before letting them roam around the fields/garden during the day. I believe they are around 6 months old. They are extremely nervous and wary at the moment but hoping they will settle.
    Thanks!

Miss Lydia likes this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Hopefully by weeks end they will feel like it's home with you. Big change for them.

Let us know how it goes. and of course always pics when you can.

Clo-duck likes this.
  6. Clo-duck

Clo-duck In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2018
    I hope so! They were previously from a children's petting farm poor things so it is a massive change for them! Will do :)

Miss Lydia likes this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Aww poor girls, glad you were able to get them.

Clo-duck likes this.
  8. llombardo

llombardo Songster

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I have 2 khakis. Everything I read about them states they are a nervous breed. I feed mine out of a bucket. They sometimes knock it down, other times it becomes so water logged I toss it because I don't want mold.

Clo-duck likes this.
  9. Clo-duck

Clo-duck In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2018
    Yes mine are very nervous! I just worry they aren't going to eat as they haven't yet eaten when the food has been left in the bucket but guess they would if they were hungry. How much do you feed yours? Also what is your housing set up for them? Just want to make sure I'm doing everything as best as I can for them

10. GracieJ

GracieJ Songster

Feb 16, 2018
    Wales, UK
    Definitely feed them with a bowl. Give them time to settle, they will adapt quickly :D

Clo-duck likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: