First Time Ducking, egg laying question?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by THERESAN, Dec 12, 2016.

1. THERESAN

THERESAN New Egg

Jul 1, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    We have 3 Female Ducks Pekin, Crested White and a Harlequin Welsh. The were born June 28th and are almost 6 months old. Most things that ive read is that they wont start laying until spring since they are out of season. But my Pekin this morning is contorting her body, lifting ad shaking her tail a lot. i can see in her back end when she lifts her tail expanding and contracting the opening in her back end - the cloaca? Is this a sign of egg laying or could something else be wrong? Shes eating and drinking fine as well as going to the bathroom. I tried researching this but am coming up empty any help would be great!

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

yes it is the cloaca. i wouldn't worry unless she stops eating ect. my ducks started laying last month, and they were hatched around the same time, so i'd just wait and see if anything changes

1 person likes this.
  3. THERESAN

THERESAN New Egg

Jul 1, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thank you i didn't want to use the wrong terminology or body parts since i wasn't 100% and didn't want to sound ignorant to the correct use. Thank you! Ill keep and eye, thanks for letting me know about your duck laying so then there is a chance that she could lay as well! Should i start giving them oyster shells?? I didnt want to start to early since it says for egg layers and their technically not laying yet,

4. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

you can provide them with a small feeder of oyster shell, they will eat it if they need it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by