First time Duckling Owner with some concerns about the baby...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pipdzipdnreadytogo, Aug 21, 2014.

1. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Hello, all! A while back, I made a thread here on the duck board because I had ordered Call Duck hatching eggs spur of the moment and then realized I had no idea what I was doing. :lol: Well, some time later, here I am with the only call duckling to hatch out of those eggs on Friday. She has done really well thus far, started out really strong, but I'm getting concerned that she may not be as well as she seemed at first. I have had chickens for about 9 1/2 years now and that's all I really know, so I don't know if I'm getting overly concerned here for nothing, but I do worry about the little darling. So anyway, I'll try to highlight my concerns as clearly as possible. :)

A few days ago, I noticed that she was scratching her face a lot and that her nose seemed plugged. Come to find out, I had misinterpreted the no swimming rule to mean she shouldn't be allowed to get wet, and she didn't have enough water to clean her nose out. I started giving her warm water baths every day and got her a deeper waterer (circa this thread) so that she could clean her nose out any time she needed. I have continued giving her a warm water bath, though, just once a day so she can play in the water. It seemed to take care of most of her issues, but I have noticed that I'm still seeing a bit of a runny nose from her, and she sneezes a bit still, too. At least, it sounds like a sneeze. Kind of a quick exhale through her nostrils? I searched for these symptoms and most people seemed to agree that this was not to be concerned about, just normal duck behavior. I am wondering, though, at what point does a runny nose become abnormal? I'm having to wipe her nose sometimes still, even though she has deep enough water to clean herself up. It's all clear with the exception of some food particles, but has that tackiness to it like mucus, so I know it's not just water.

Also, yesterday when she was in her bath, I noticed that she felt a little bit lighter than before, just the tiniest bit. She also feels a little bony. She eats and drinks as normal, runs around her brooder, plays in the water when I have her out, and believe me, she has not slowed down pooping! Her droppings seem normal, although never having ducks before, I'm not totally sure on that. They are a bit loose compared to chick droppings, and leave little rings from where the water in them absorbs into her bedding. I've not seen anything that would indicate she doesn't feel well except that she itches her face a lot. Could she still have something clogging her nose or throat, maybe? And if so, how in the world can I help her with this?

As for her living conditions, she is on paper towels and has an EcoGlow for warmth. I have a thermometer under there (which she has taken to sleeping with one wing on) and the temp reads fine for her age. She is fed an all-flock crumble, which I do see her eating, although she does seem to have to fight down some of the larger crumbles. I checked the label and it is 20% protein and has Niacin in it, so that's good, right? Her water is deep enough for her to get her head in to clean out her nose, just plain water but I can add vitamin/electrolyte powder if it seems necessary. She has had no contact with the outside world or vice versa, so if there is anything wrong it would have to be either a mistake on my part or something that came from the parent stock.

Wibbles and I would be grateful for any help or suggestions! :) Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    If she's not gaining weight and her nose is running, she needs to see a vet. NOW. It could be as simple as a respiratory infection or parasites of some kind, or it could be something viral, which will make your duckling fade much more quickly.

My own lone call duckling Wobbles had a similar thing going on but hers wasn't nearly as bad as you describe. She's on strong antibiotics now because the weaker one we tried didn't have any effect. It sounds like a likely scenario that the food that was stuck in her nares for that long period of time festered and attached to her mucous membranes, giving her an infection. But please don't take my word for it, I'm not legally allowed to give vet advice without seeing the animal so please make an appointment today! And please let us know how the little guy is doing, he's just SO cute.

3. pipdzipdnreadytogo

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Thanks for the response! I was getting worried I had written too much and scared everyone off!

None of the vets in my area will see chickens as far as I know, so I'm not sure if any will see ducks or if they will, whether they will have the appropriate knowledge for them. I will give my cat / dog vet a call, though, because I think one of their interns said she was focusing on poultry. :fl I hope so, anyway!

For now, I do have Duramycin-10 and Tylan 50 I can try with her. Do you think either would stabilize her for now? I think I will go ahead and mix her up some vitamin/electrolyte water for a boost. My poor baby!

As a side note, I love that our two lone call ducklings are Wibbles and Wobbles! :lol: They belong together, I guess! Thank you again for the reply, I'll get to work on getting my Wibbles what she needs!

4. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Awww, Wibs & Wobs, it's like it was meant to be! <3

I had to call around quite a bit to find a duck vet, but I did that when she was still in the egg. Mine's about a 40 minute drive away but it's worth it because she specializes in birds with an emphasis on waterfowl. I know I sound like a broken record saying "vet!" all the time but it really is the best response to give. :/ She sounds like she needs a professional's opinion and only a vet can prescribe the harder drugs like sulfamides and azithromycin.

5. pipdzipdnreadytogo

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    I totally understand! I made a call to my vet and asked about the intern I mentioned. She is actually a vet tech that specialized in poultry and everyone calls her the chicken lady. I feel like Wibbles will be in good hands with her (plus now I know I have a chicken vet!). We're to call back tomorrow when she's in to either get some advise or make an appointment. Wibbles seems stable for now, so I hope she's okay until then. :fl

6. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    I'm studying to become a vet tech myself! (I'm just an assistant for now) She sounds like your best bet right now. I really hope lil' Wibbles is okay! Please keep us posted on her progress!

7. pipdzipdnreadytogo

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    That's cool! :D I wanted to be a vet, but it didn't take me long to realize I just don't have the stomach for it. I'll definitely keep you updated.

For right now, I made Wibbles some 'porridge' out of water and feed, and she's definitely eating it because she's splashed it all over the place. :rolleyes: I didn't notice her itching her face as much when I was up there last, so maybe that's some progress. :fl We'll see what the vet says tomorrow! (If I can make it that long before harassing the vet office staff, anyway. :lol: )

8. pipdzipdnreadytogo

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    I talked to the vet this morning, and she recommended trying Duramycin for a few days and see if that did anything, then switch to Tylan if not. I've got my Wibbles on Duramycin in her water and in her porridge. I'm scared that it may be too little too late, though. She is breathing really hard when she's awake because she's having such a difficult time breathing through her nostrils, and she just looks so skinny... The Tylan 50 water soluble is supposed to be stronger than Duramycin. It hasn't even been an hour since I put her on Duramycin, but should I just go ahead and switch to the Tylan now? I don't want to go against what the vet said, but I'm so scared I'm going to lose my little Wibbles. :(

9. pipdzipdnreadytogo

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Okay, yesterday was a bit of a rollercoaster and I did panic a bit, but Wibbles stayed strong through the night and even feels like she may have put on just a bit of weight. Her poops are smaller and a little greener and consist of more water than they did before, but don't seem abnormal otherwise. She is a little sleepy, but other than that, everything seems alright. I gave Wibs her usual morning bath and added a little antibiotic to it so that she wouldn't be getting just plain water. Cleaned up her nose and she's been doing okay since. Oh, and the heavy breathing I was seeing yesterday, that was because her nose was plugged! She breaths fine after I clean her nose up. Now it's just a matter of convincing her to eat more!

So right now, I'm feeling a bit like this:

[VIDEO]

But I think, at least for right now, she might be okay. :fl

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  10. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Wow, hoping she continues to get better and make it though! What a scary/stressful situation. Hang in there!

Wibbles is flippin' ADORABLE, btw! Pretty much the cutest duckling I've ever seen! ^-^

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by