First Time Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducklings199, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Ducklings199

Ducklings199 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    Hi! This is my first time on the forum.
    I've got 3 Campbells, a White, Blue and Apricot.
    I'm having a bit of trouble picking the ducklings up as they seem to be scared of my hand. I only try to move them when it is necessary but I'm worried about hurting them. Is there any tricks I can use, to help them feel happy when they are lifted.

2. Taluhla106

Taluhla106 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    When you go to pick them up, gently wrap your hands around their wings to their stomach area. If they are still pretty small, then you can take one hand and do so, then bring them up near your chest with your other hand under their feet. By now they've probably laid down in your hand. The only way you could hurt them is if you drop them or grab their legs. Another thing that may help is if you are watching your ducks and notice one if them has gone to the bathroom, pick that one up first!!!

3. Eluria

Eluria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    I would love to see pics of your babies!

4. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Yes, just move slowly and support their feet. They tend to flip out when their feet are left dangling in the air. You can also try hand-feeding them treats so they get more used to your hands being near them. Then they won't see you as such a threat, but a giver of goodies! :)

5. AmandaVirus

AmandaVirus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    I've found it's best to pick them up from underneath them, scoop them up gently with both your hands cupped. It also never hurts to talk to them while doing so, or just as your walking by their brooder, they love to be talked to. If they're old enough (about a week old) you can hand feed them treats, like frozen thawed peas, tomato, lettuce... to get them used to your hands. Mine are over a year old and still don't like my hands coming near them or being picked up, so they may never be completely comfortable with it.

6. Ducklings199

Aug 17, 2014
    Thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate it. These ducks are actually my first pets, and I really want to get it right. Two more question, my ducklings were born 4-5 days ago, so should I wait a bit before giving them the peas? Also I've now tried picking them up but they run away, any advice? Thank you.
    Below is a photo xx The Brown which will hopefully become Blue is Dora. The Apricot is Dizzy and the yellow is Daisy.
    [​IMG]

7. Ducklings199

Aug 17, 2014
    Thank you so much for the advice!

8. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

THIS. I've seen some ducks (mostly Runners for some reason) be totally cool with having their legs dangle but most ducks hate having their feet off the ground. I find if I hold mine in such a way that her feet can rest in the palm of my hand, she;s perfectly calm.

And I second the request for photos! We can be first-time duck owner buddies, our babies can grow up together :3

9. Taluhla106

Taluhla106 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    Your brown one won't actually be blue, it'll be grey. And yes, I would wait a few more weeks before you give them peas. When you give them the peas, make sure it is in a bowl of water. The more you play with your ducks, talk to them, hand feed them, etc. they will get more used to you and hopefully not run away. Mine do because I originally ordered ten, then gave away four so the six I have now aren't super friendly so since you only have 3 they won't be as skiddish.[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Ducklings199

Aug 17, 2014
    Thank you for all the advice! The brown campbell has one blue gene so I have been told it will have a slight blue hint to it, otherwise yes it will be grey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by