first time eating quail, whats best?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by syble, Jul 28, 2011.

1. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    We'll be processing our first batch of jumbo browns soon and wanted to get so ideas for coturnix recipes. We are not a fan of spice in our house hold (chrones is a problem), so nothing too spicy or exotic, seasonings should be fine, just no heat. We are a family of 3. Thanks in advance for all the help!
    Sib

2. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
  3. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    What about a nice marinade of orange and pineapple juice then grill them?

4. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I like to pour a can of cream of mushroom soup over them, add in some fresh mushrooms maybe and then bake them. Simple, easy, yummy!

5. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I fillet off the breasts, lie them flat, put a tbsp of gouda ball in, and wrap them in pepperd bacon. fast panfry (once the gouda starts oozing out it's done). Serve with a raspberry vinagrette and steamed vegitables.

(gouda balls, in the food processor crumble the gouda with an egg to allow it to stick together, use as stuffing in ravoilis, quail or anything else you want to stuff with cheese)

6. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    the gouda bacon sounds good (there is a chicken one that is like that but also uses rosemary twigs to sow things up), but that almost sounds fancy for my first try. Maybe I'll try a more simple pan fry or grill so i can taste more of the meat to see if i like it lol. Hope so, there are about 30 to do this round and another batch of eggs in the bator haha.

Is there more flavor to them then chickens? Also i read 8 weeks is a taget date, yet in that link i was seeing 10-12 weeks for better size? when should i be processing?

Thanks again!
    Sib

7. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Split the breast, leave leg and thigh together, pan fry as you like your chicken... Good bird!! Like Joe says, if you don't like it this way, you probably don't like coturnix.... Bill

8. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    coconut shrimp recipe works well on coturnix mine usually have a little bit of a rum flavor as well [​IMG]

9. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:[​IMG]

That's strange Prophet my coke usually taste like rum. Sometimes my cake too... Just the other day I put my index finger in my mouth, and sure enough, I TASTED like rum!!! Now I'm think'n it's some kinda plot. I'll do some more research and get back to ya... [​IMG] Have a good Friday... Bill

10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:[​IMG]

That's strange Prophet my coke usually taste like rum. Sometimes my cake too... Just the other day I put my index finger in my mouth, and sure enough, I TASTED like rum!!! Now I'm think'n it's some kinda plot. I'll do some more research and get back to ya... [​IMG] Have a good Friday... Bill

I like eating coturnix quail & washing it down with a tall glass of Cuba libre. You put the lime in the coconut & drink it all up LOL It's five O clock somewhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by