First Time Egg Hatcher - Help!

BackyardBradshaw

Songster
Jan 26, 2021
Florida, USA
What am I doing?

Our girl, Cocoa, has been sitting on some eggs for about 3 weeks now. I've been periodically candling them and they look like they're at the final stage (based on diagram pictures I've been seeing online). I can even see the babies moving around!

I'm thinking they're going to hatch any day now, but I don't know what to do afterward. I just purchased a small brooder just in case she rejects them, but do I just let her do her thing if she accepts them or still move them to the brooder?

She's currently in an elevated nesting box. Should I move them when they start moving around so they don't fall out? So many questions. I'm excited, but scared at the same time.

There's only 2 eggs so it's not going to be too overwhelming, just no idea what to do! Any and all suggestions are welcome!

What am I doing?

Our girl, Cocoa, has been sitting on some eggs for about 3 weeks now. I've been periodically candling them and they look like they're at the final stage (based on diagram pictures I've been seeing online). I can even see the babies moving around!

I'm thinking they're going to hatch any day now, but I don't know what to do afterward. I just purchased a small brooder just in case she rejects them, but do I just let her do her thing if she accepts them or still move them to the brooder?

She's currently in an elevated nesting box. Should I move them when they start moving around so they don't fall out? So many questions. I'm excited, but scared at the same time.

There's only 2 eggs so it's not going to be too overwhelming, just no idea what to do! Any and all suggestions are welcome!
congratulations on your broody and getting this far; it should be a wonderful experience for you both.

When they start to hatch, she will sit tight and not come off for food, water, poo etc, at least for a day, possibly 3. Once that starts, I'd find some way to block the entrance to prevent a chick falling out - neither she nor the chicks need anything at least for 1 day (the absorbed yolk exists to feed the chicks for 3 days). Once both have hatched (or the broody gets restless), I'd move them all to ground level, and ensure that shavings or whatever are heaped so that a chick that leaves the nest can get back in again - they will chill quickly if separated from the broody for long. Then put chick feed and a shallow dish of water nearby and make sure mum gets as much as she needs - she has burned a lot of reserves while brooding and needs the calories and hydration. And poo pick regularly to remove her waste. Normally she knows what to do with the chicks and your job is just to provide her with the resources and facilities to do it.

This thread has loads of information and advice for raising chicks with a broody
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...hatch-a-long-and-informational-thread.457488/

congratulations on your broody and getting this far; it should be a wonderful experience for you both.

When they start to hatch, she will sit tight and not come off for food, water, poo etc, at least for a day, possibly 3. Once that starts, I'd find some way to block the entrance to prevent a chick falling out - neither she nor the chicks need anything at least for 1 day (the absorbed yolk exists to feed the chicks for 3 days). Once both have hatched (or the broody gets restless), I'd move them all to ground level, and ensure that shavings or whatever are heaped so that a chick that leaves the nest can get back in again - they will chill quickly if separated from the broody for long. Then put chick feed and a shallow dish of water nearby and make sure mum gets as much as she needs - she has burned a lot of reserves while brooding and needs the calories and hydration. And poo pick regularly to remove her waste. Normally she knows what to do with the chicks and your job is just to provide her with the resources and facilities to do it.

This thread has loads of information and advice for raising chicks with a broody
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...hatch-a-long-and-informational-thread.457488/
Thank you so much! We've had one egg hatch so far, I think last night! See pics. The other should be any day now. I candled it and there's movement inside! Mama has pooed quite a bit in the back of the nesting box so I need to figure out how to clean it without disturbing baby too much. This is SO exciting! So far so good, she seems to be doing everything she needs to do. I put my brooder together today just in case though.

Attachments

• 20221106_122004.jpg
    20221106_122004.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221106_093531.jpg
    20221106_093531.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 3
:celebrate:wee:jumpy wonderful news! enjoy!

It's definitely a good idea to remove that poo before one of the little ones makes contact with it. A bit of kitchen roll usually works to grab it complete and out in one movement.

Latest update, BOTH eggs have hatched and mama and babies are doing great! I've moved them to a secure area so the other chickens won't bother them. Just taking it one day at a time at this point.

Attachments

• 20221108_170638.jpg
    20221108_170638.jpg
    783.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom