First time ever eating rabbit....

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Sep 28, 2011.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    And to be honest it tasted JUST like chicken. I never knew why people always say that, I've always figured that each animal has it's own taste, but nope. I made a rabbit stew with onions and carrots and lots of pepper and it tasted EXACTLY like chicken. Texture, feel, softness, color, taste, everything. I am really amazed.

Just wanted to share my astoundedness.

Edited to add that I do have a mild cold, so I wonder if that had something to do with it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ate lots growing up. Chicken for sure!

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    WMR ............. Somehow I knew that was gonna come up when I read it LOL, stinker [​IMG]

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Quote:[​IMG]

I'm really surprised people don't eat it more. I mean (to me) it is so much easier to raise and process than a chicken. I think the whole process only took me like 20 minutes for my very first one ever, and I believe my first chicken ever took me somewhere around an hour and half.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    1 1/2 hrs for a chicken I thought you were better at it than that...................... I like eating rabbit and had a few but this summer here in Ok was just too hot for them, so I sold them. I like saving and tanning the pelt's too and you can use them for all sorts of cool man things LOL.

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Quote:
    Lol, a hour and a half when I very first started, that was quite a while ago. Now I can do them MUCH faster than that. [​IMG]

I saved the pelt and put it in my freezer, I have no idea how to tan it but I would LOVE to learn!!!

7. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    I LOVE RABBIT!!! That's another reason why I'd like to get more. Very easy, to care for, grow, process, etc. And it's ALL white meat! I still cannot stand dark meat on a chicken.

8. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I think y'all have sold me on trying rabbit [​IMG]

9. BoomChickaRocka

BoomChickaRocka Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    im thinking of trying it but i dont think my wife would ever give it a chance, i still have to debone everything in order for her to cook with it.

10. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I love rabbit, although I have only had wild rabbit that I have shot myself.
    I also like to eat squirrel - the big grey squirrels from northern Wisconsin.
    Growing up - my dad and I would go rabbit hunting. We would shoot rabbits and squirrels, my mom would stew them up together.

I bet domestic rabbit tastes even better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by