First time farmers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Beanish Birds, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Beanish Birds

Beanish Birds New Egg

Jun 21, 2016
    Quibell Ontario, Canada
    Hey guys! New to the site here. We just got some baby chicks less than a week ago. So far, we have lost two over night the first night we got them. A few seemed kind of slow and less mobile than the others so I was worried. But they seem a lot more chipper now! But I did notice some bald spots on a few of the chicks' necks. Temperature is good, eating LOTS and very active... Thoughts?

2. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    A bit more information would be helpful, including how old the chicks were when you got them, where you got them from, and if the bald spots were there when you got them or if they have developed over the last few days. Also, how many chicks have you got, how big an area do they have to run around in, and what are you using for bedding? Finally, a photo of the bald patches would be good (if you could get a chick to stay still for long enough. [​IMG] )

Without seeing a picture or knowing too much about the chicks it's hard to suggest what might be happening, but one possibility is that it could be feather picking which could be due to the chicks being bored, in a space that is too small for them all or not having enough to eat.

If you can spend a bit of time watching the chicks and seeing how they interact you might be able to see if they are actually pecking at each other or not.

3. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    Oh, and by the way:

[​IMG]

4. Beanish Birds

Beanish Birds New Egg

Jun 21, 2016
    Quibell Ontario, Canada
    My boyfriend ordered them from a farm supply store close by. He of course did not ask age. I assumed a couple days olduring when we got them. There were no bald spots when I got them. I think he ordered 70? I tried counting myself but they don't stay still and I loose count. I could always look at the photo and count. So far we have lost 4... I also noticed pretty much right after my last post two had busted up legs!! I brought them inside because I couldn't stand watching them get trampled. They didn't look like they were in good shape but I seen one of them standing today! Are they beating each other up? Vitamin deficiency?? Here's some pics....

5. gmatson

gmatson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2016
    How big is your brooder?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  6. Beanish Birds

Beanish Birds New Egg

Jun 21, 2016
    Quibell Ontario, Canada
    I tried to upload some pics but I guess it didn't work. I don't know why?? But it's 8x2.5 feet. Temperature is good. They are still eating and drinking fine...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by