First time fermenting chicken feed

FameOfMe

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2017
Hello at all,
I am new into fermenting chicken feed.
And I have a question if does this looks right?
I am not quite sure thats why I am asking. Thanks for any help

Attachments

• IMG_1989.JPG
    IMG_1989.JPG
    476.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1990.JPG
    IMG_1990.JPG
    562.8 KB · Views: 15
Looks ok to me.
I would use less water next time.

What exactly are you fermenting?

Looks ok to me.
I would use less water next time.

What exactly are you fermenting?
Hi Kiki, thank you.
I wasn't quite sure because of the white layer on top.

Les water? Yes that's what I'm planned for the next time.
But its so hard to find the right way as newbie, cause there are so many different explanations. Almost each person is doing it differently.

Thanks for the input :)
Much appreciated

Edit, forgot the part with what I ferment.
Its a mix out of:
Sunflowers, Oat Groats, Red winter wheat, peas, flax seeds and Millet

Last edited:
Hi Kiki, thank you.
I wasn't quite sure because of the white layer on top.

Les water? Yes that's what I'm planned for the next time.
But its so hard to find the right way as newbie, cause there are so many different explanations. Almost each person is doing it differently.

Thanks for the input :)
Much appreciated

Edit, forgot the part with what I ferment.
Its a mix out of:
Sunflowers, Oat Groats, Red winter wheat, peas, flax seeds and Millet

The white layer on top is called SCOBY. Perfectly normal, and desireable. I have a question for you: Do you intend your fermented feed to be the primary source of feed for your flock? If so, I suggest that you ferment their regular feed.

As for the amount of water to use, when I am fermenting their regular feed, I fill the bucket half full of water, then add approximately an equal amount of crumble or pellets. Stir and let it set till it bubbles. Then serve it up. I always hold back a bit of the ferment to "seed" the next batch.

There is a link to an excellent article about the how and why of FF at the bottom of my signature.

I too want to know if this is all your plan to feed them.
I agree a complete chicken feed would be better.

Define complete?

And of course thats what I feed. And thats what my boyfriend feed his old chickens before I came. They were healthy and fit. Look in all the benefits of each grain and seed.
We can have a deep discustion about what is the best feed and we would never agree like so many peoples are against raw food in dogs.

FYI the links are not working. Interested but not sure how to do this consistently and have fermented seed available daily without my house being overrun by fruit flies etc. Fermenting beer, wine or even a sour dough starter I end up throwing it down the drain or in the trash from fruit flies.

Back
Top Bottom