1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time flocker from Washington state!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JoyfulGirl36, Mar 14, 2016.

1. JoyfulGirl36

JoyfulGirl36 New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    Eastern WA
    Hello! I have been interested in having a backyard flock of chickens for years. In the past 2-3 months I have gotten very serious about realizing this dream. I have read several posts form this site as well as books. After a recent trip to the feed store, my husband is on board, too! So, here we go on our adventure! :)
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? New to chickens!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? The feed store is getting a new shipment on Thursday. We plan to be there first thing in the morning to get 4 chicks. :)

(3) What breeds do you have? We are getting 2 Buff Orpingtons & 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? an online search

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I also have a backyard garden. I love to cook, bake, and paint.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I have been married to the love of my life for 8 years. We have a 6 year old and a 3 1/2 year old son, 2 fish, & 2 cats. We're excited to add 4 chicks to the mix! :)

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thank you for a nice introduction, I enjoyed reading it.

I see where you like to bake. Come on over to our home baker's thread and join in if you'd like (the link is in my signature at the bottom of this post).

Have fun with the new chicks, it's nice to have you here!

3. JoyfulGirl36

JoyfulGirl36 New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    Eastern WA
    Thanks NFC!! :)
    Oh my goodness...thank you SO much for the link to this awesome thread!! I love how well organized it is! I see quite a few recipes I want to try!!
    So happy I joined BYC. Now I can connect explore 2 of my passions...chickens and baking! :)
    ~Elysia

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC - please keep an eye on the cats, chicks are irresistible and tasty to them.[​IMG]

5. JoyfulGirl36

JoyfulGirl36 New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    Eastern WA
    Thanks drumstick diva! Our brooder is set up in a spare bedroom that is well ventilated and, more importantly, completely closed off from the cats! [​IMG]

6. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - exciting times ahead for you and your family. I'm sure you'll all be chicken addicts before long.

All the best
    CT

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming

Elysia, I'll keep an eye out for you over on the baking thread! We have fun and learn stuff too. The good, the bad, and the inedible all make an appearance, lol.

8. JoyfulGirl36

JoyfulGirl36 New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    Eastern WA
    Thanks CT! We are very excited to start this journey! :)

9. JoyfulGirl36

JoyfulGirl36 New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    Eastern WA
    "the inedible"...I love it!! Well, my son is turning 6 this weekend so I am baking 2 dozen strawberry cupcakes and a 2 layer strawberry cake from scratch with strawberry cream cheese frosting. Hopefully it'll all turn out! [​IMG]

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by