First time for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CopperHead75, Mar 13, 2017.

1. CopperHead75

CopperHead75 New Egg

Mar 13, 2017
    Hello all... I've been reading a lot on this forum about quail and finally decided to join. I've been raising quail for about a year now but just this weekend I bought seven baby chickens. I think they said they were three days old. I had them in a pen I built in my shop with a heat lamp shining in. The temp got down into the forties Friday night and one died. I don't know if it was temp related or not. I just don't trust those heat lamps though after reading horror stories about them starting fires. Since I am away from home for 12 hours four days a week I went and bought a 40 steel stock tank and moved them inside my house. I put a 100 watt bulb in my lamp and aimed that in there. Should that be sufficient since it basically stays 70* inside all the time? I have read that it should be 95* and adjusted lower from there weekly but is that number critical?

2. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina

Hi! And :welcome glad you joined the forum!

It sounds like your doing the right thing already. If your house is kept at a decent temperature, and the heat lamp in monitored, they should be fine. Just move your heat lamp about 3 inches up each week. I would put them back outside at about 3-4 weeks (or when they all are completely feathered). Good luck, and I hope this helps! ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by