First time Free-Range! (Lots of pics)

booker81

Redneck Tech Girl
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Mid-MI
I let the chickens out of their run for the first time - free! It was pretty funny - they didn't know what to do, so they just started by chowing down on the longer grass along the fence (which made hubby happy!). One of the roosters decided for some reason that I looked good to eat and ran over and started pecking/biting any part of me he could reach. I tried pushing him and he'd just come for more, so I took off my flip flop and gave him a whack. He jumped away and tried to come back, so I whacked him again, and he got the hint.
smile.png
(I was sitting on the ground).

54632_free5.jpg

54632_free4.jpg

My daughter likes to feed them through the fence, so she wanted to feed them outside, so I put some feed in the pitcher we use to fill their food bucket, and let her have at it.

54632_free9.jpg

She likes to throw it at them (same with when they are in the run), so they don't know if they want to run away, or run to the food LOL! In the end, everyone is happy:

54632_free6.jpg

54632_free7.jpg

54632_free3.jpg

54632_free2.jpg

54632_free1.jpg

If I got up and walked away, they would all start following, so I spent a lot of time just sitting on the ground. The red sex links really liked to stay close, this one was going for the phone
smile.png

54632_free8.jpg

One of the SLW roos is kinda gimpy - he was fine up until a few weeks ago, but I'm thinking based on his actions, he hurt his back playfighting with the other roos. He can walk and run, but he prefers to lay, and is sometimes wobbly. He's VERY personable though, and let me hold him and scratch him all over - and he kept closing his eyes. My daughter loved being able to pet him
smile.png

54632_mesavchx.jpg

He's my buddy
smile.png

54632_meandroo.jpg

When it was time to put them in, I just shooed them along, and they all went right in the run. I think they liked their little outside trip. We do have a lot of hawks here, and I worry about the road, so I don't plan on free range all the time, but at least when I'm out with them. Their run is 30x10 or so, lots of room, but a big yard is better
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom