First time free-ranging

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by PlymouthRocker, Aug 5, 2009.

1. PlymouthRocker

PlymouthRocker Songster

May 7, 2009
    Plymouth County MA
    I let my 24 girls free range today for the first time. Their run is huge, but I knew they'd love it in the tall grass (the lawnmower wouldn't start). I also wanted them to eat some of the many mosquitoes we have here. I am so paranoid that I sat outside with them for an hour and then bribed them back in the pen when the lawnmower repair man came.

I'm thinking that I'll let them free-range at about 7:30 pm because it gets dark here at 8:30, but at dusk I'll be even more paranoid about predators. Also, I'm unsure what they would do regarding the neighbors's yards and the road. We are on 2 acres and very secluded and far off the road, but still.

Am I too overprotective? While I sat in the grass with them, they came up to me and let me pet them. They come when I call. I want it all: happy, LIVE chickens. [​IMG]

2. citrusdreams

citrusdreams Songster

May 4, 2009
    I personally don't think you're too overprotective if you think they might wander into the street or into the neighbor's yard. I would just ask your neighbor if they mind? One of my neighbors borders property with me and he doesn't care if the chickens go onto his property as long as they don't go to the house...which is acres and acres away.

If you're worried about predators, just stay with them that last hour before dusk [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: