First time free ranging

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by moodlymoo, Sep 24, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    This morning I let the 3 BIG girls out to free range and Im so scared. My hubby keeps checking on me because I wont come in the house. Im quite surprised because they wont go far from the coop either. I left the run gate open so they can go in if they want to. Is this normal?

2. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I understand staying with them i do the same.there are dogs roaming around and i have seen a huge hawk.when i first let my hens out to free range.(i only have three) they would stay togather and stay right beside me.but after they became comfortable.they all split up and i couldn't even keep up with them.i have people tell me all the time that they have lost so many of their chicken by letting them free range.in order to keep them safe mine free range very little.

3. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Mine also started out that way. In the beginning, they stuck close to the coop, maybe for two months or so. Then they became bolder and bolder, and now I have to go out and tempt them back up the hollow before they walk down the driveway - and they are cooped on the back of my 3-acre property and only range for a few hours in the evening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by