First time going broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by k625, Apr 24, 2008.

1. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    My hen is around 9 months old now, and I think she has just gone broody..of course right after I sent a few fertile eggs to have a friend hatch me out some babies lol. She is sitting on only 4 eggs, and picked up another one that my other hen just layed today.

My question is..will she get up to eat and drink on her own? Or do I need to take her out and do that? I dont want to disturb her much, b.c I do want these babies!! [​IMG]

I know all of this has been asked a million times, I went seaching through some old post...but didnt find too much.

thanks gusy![​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Mine have always gotten up on their own to get food, water and poo......Just keep an eye on her...sometimes I even put some feed up in her nest or hold the water cup for her if I think she hasn't gotten up for a day or so....alittle bit of canned whole corn is also good to make sure they get some moisture (water liquid) in them or thats what I do anyway.....

3. jessica117

jessica117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    I would say she should.

I feed my hens at the same time everyday and when I had a broody, she would usually come out when I put her food in. If she didn't I would get in and make her get up.

4. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Ok. thanks a bucnh. That is pretty much what I did today. I made her get up, and she ate and had something to drink..then she went and did some dust bathing.

After that she spotted a loose egg and scooted it into her nest lol. I just cant belive that I took eggs over to a friends house, and her hen is already sitting on some of my eggs, and then my hen decides to go broody for the first time. I am going to end up with a ton of babies, and I only wanted like 2 lol.

Anyone going to want any silkie/frizzled polish lol

5. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Hehe, they always have that kind of timing, don't they?

Mine quit being broody just when I was thinking I'd let her set and then switch out some babies from the feed store and let HER raise them. So that was out, and I had to do it myself. Then as soon as I got the babies and put them in a brooder, ANOTHER one went broody.

Ah well.

Hey, are you serious about silkie/frizzled polish? I was interested, but they came to the feed store too late to put in with mine. If you happen to be close to me (I see you are in FL too). Then again, FL is a BIG state (lengthwise).

Good luck with all your babies!

trish

6. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    if you feel food in her crop she probably is eating and drinking. just make sure she has a little privacy and her food and water are close to the nest. What kind of hen is she?

7. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    yes she will get off the nest to eat drink an poop.an walk around some.then its back on the nest she goes.

8. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Goodegg...I am near Gainesville Fl..where are you located? I didnt know the feed store would get in chicks like that..thats pretty cool.

The hen this is sitting is a buff silkie, but the eggs that are fertile that she is sitting on are from a GEORGEOUS partrige rooster that I HAD and a buff laced frizzled polish. I think she has 3 eggs under her that are from my polish girl, and then my friend has about 3-5 eggs from my polish girl that she is trying to hatch out for me too. I only want 1 baby, and she only wants 1-2 chicks, so if there are extras you will def. see them up on here! [​IMG]

Goodegg..have you ever seen a silkie/frizz polish before? I never have, and was curious what they looked like.

9. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Hi k625,

I'm afraid I'm a long way from Gainesville ... I'm in the Panhandle. (Right now I WISH I lived further down there though!)

I started out only wanting "normal-looking" chickens, LOL, but I've gotten really interested in silkies, Polish, frizzles, and so on. I'd really like to have 1-2 of each. I did get some light brahmas (feather legged) at the feed store, but when they got in the Polish and other fancy ones, mine were about 3 weeks old and I didn't want to mix them.

I don't think I've ever actually seen a silkie/frizzle Polish before ... but it sure sounds interesting! I'd love to see one!

Congrats, and I hope your babies turn out to be very interesting! Sounds like they will be! [​IMG]

trish

10. sheps4her

sheps4her Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Guilford County, NC
    Don't mean to hijack your thread...but I think I have a broody hen also....She usually is the first one ready to come out but today she would not come. She is sitting on at least one egg, but I do not have roosters, so there is no way she is going to hatch! what should I do??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by