First time going to hatch eggs, advice please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 15shenyl, Feb 24, 2013.

1. 15shenyl

15shenyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    I'm getting 3 hatching eggs and wanted my hens to hatch them. This is the first time I have ever done this and would love some pointers on what and what not to do. Also, is it ok if I put the eggs in a box and let the hens figure out what to do or will they not think nothing of it, I'm also worried if my hen will switch boxes. I will take any information that anyone gives me.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Have you got a broody hen? Unless one of your hens is broody it's unlikely that they will hatch the egg for you. You can encourage them by putting the eggs in a nest box, but it's not a guarantee that it will work. It really depend on the individual hen and how prone to broodiness she is. If you suspect one of your hens is broody watch her and make sure before giving her eggs. She should spent the whole day in the nest box and sleep in the box as well. Good luck!

3. 15shenyl

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    I have Salmon Faverolles and they go broody a lot. I always have at least 1 broody hen, if not all 7 of them. My biggest concern is she will switch boxes or my other hens will go lay an egg in that box and then she won't go back on it.

4. wantedman66

wantedman66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    connecticut
    If your concerned about them being consistent then your better off incubating them in a incubator

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    if you have them with hens, mark them so you can tell if someone else lays an egg, also I try to set more eggs than I need since not all will hatch.

6. 15shenyl

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    I'm a FFA student in high school, so I can't afford an incubator or that many eggs. Im getting 3 eggs and will put a few of the eggs the hens lay in the box and hope the 3 eggs will hatch. How should I mark the eggs. Do I put a mark so I know what eggs are fertal or what?

7. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I just put a pencil mark so I know they are not new eggs. candle them at 7 days to see if they are fertile.

8. 15shenyl

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    This is going to sound dumb but..how do you candle an egg?

9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubator-incubator this is easy and cheap to make!

10. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I use a pen light from a feed store, shine the light on the upper end so egg blocks light and you just shine it into the egg. you will see air cell and into the egg. veins and stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by