First time Grandmother to ducklings need advice ASAP! UPDATED with pics!

EmAbTo48

Songster
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Northern Wisconsin
I am thrilled to see that my little Rouen Lucy (only a year) as hatched out 2 so far ducklings in the last 24 hours! One looks like a pekin while the other a rouen mix I am so thrilled to have such exciting news from having just recently lost 4 ducks of my flock!

Now I have never had ducklings all my ducks I aquire as rehoming adults that people don't want anymore :)!

So I need some guidance!

I am enclosing them in a area but am wondering:

how much water can be kept in the pen?

What feed can I use for both babys and mom?

I will take a picture of my set up as there 'brooder' and let me know if its safe for now? I am. Removing the drake and 3 other hens as they were sharing the shelter with the Lucy since I assume they may attack the ducklings?????

Ahhh just so excited! Please anymore advice would be grand!

OH and I will post pictures if she will allow me hehe she's very much in mommy mode!

UPDATE!!!

Okay so this is what I got set up for mom and babys.. She so far as 2 pekin and 2 rouen Mixes will see what happens with the rest of the eggs over the next 2 days. And this is all I could get for pictures of the little guys.

As for mom showing them food and water how long they can not have these 2 items while mom sits?????

Last edited:
for the duckling shallow water, the problem is ducks are obsessive compulsive with bathing in water since day 1 so you have to watch it like a hawk if its mom isn't because they don't know enough to get out.

its probably better to take the other hens and drake out even if they are not mean to the baby. they can run it over because they are anal with water, and if water if limited and the babys in the way it will get crushed. if moms a good mother she will make sure the other ducks with think twice before going near the water until mom and baby are done.

Last edited:
I am wondering (as I raised ducklings from day olds, so not with a duck mom), if a tallish bucket of water for mother duck to drink and wash her head in, as well as shallow for the babies.

And yes, good move to give them their own space for a while.

In the wild, mama duck would monitor her ducklings' swim time, so as long as the water is easy for the ducklings to get out of, I think mama duck will get them out when she thinks they need to. Also, since they have mama duck's oils, they won't get water logged in deeper water.

In the wild, mama duck would monitor her ducklings' swim time, so as long as the water is easy for the ducklings to get out of, I think mama duck will get them out when she thinks they need to. Also, since they have mama duck's oils, they won't get water logged in deeper water.
Agreed, 99%. If I had not read of some strangely unmotherly ducks, I would agree 100%. Just watch for a while, and make sure she has what it takes to protect them.

clap.gif

I cannot recall the number of hours (getting tired), but seems to me ducklings are okay for a day or two after hatching, as far as being able to go without food and water. But then they really need some water and a little food once the yolk gets completely used up.

Anyone able to fill in with some better information on that?

Last edited:
their yolk gives them about 3 and 1/2 days to find water and food before starving that's why hatcheries are able to ship around the country

I am thrilled to see that my little Rouen Lucy (only a year) as hatched out 2 so far ducklings in the last 24 hours! One looks like a pekin while the other a rouen mix I am so thrilled to have such exciting news from having just recently lost 4 ducks of my flock!
Now I have never had ducklings all my ducks I aquire as rehoming adults that people don't want anymore
smile.png
!
So I need some guidance!
I am enclosing them in a area but am wondering:
how much water can be kept in the pen?
What feed can I use for both babys and mom?
I will take a picture of my set up as there 'brooder' and let me know if its safe for now? I am. Removing the drake and 3 other hens as they were sharing the shelter with the Lucy since I assume they may attack the ducklings?????
Ahhh just so excited! Please anymore advice would be grand!
OH and I will post pictures if she will allow me hehe she's very much in mommy mode!
UPDATE!!!
Okay so this is what I got set up for mom and babys.. She so far as 2 pekin and 2 rouen Mixes will see what happens with the rest of the eggs over the next 2 days. And this is all I could get for pictures of the little guys.
As for mom showing them food and water how long they can not have these 2 items while mom sits?????

Oh, they're too cute!

Back
Top Bottom