First time hatch excitment and concerns

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkercoocoo, Mar 29, 2016.

1. silkercoocoo

silkercoocoo New Egg

May 10, 2015
    Ontario Canada
    Today is day 22 for our eggies and we're very excited, but i also have some concerns. Of the three to hatch due to hatch today only one has internally pipped and has only slightly externally pipped. Is this normal? Like shes only cracked the slightest little crack in the shell. As a first time hatcher i was sort of expecting her to bust a small hole right through the shell.
    Should i help by giving her an air hole of sorts? I'm not sure how long shes been like that, when i went to bed last nght theyre were no internal or external pips but, i woke up to her internally pipped with just the ever so slight external pip, and has remained unchanging for about 2 hours now. If not now then when should i start to be concerned about her breathing abilities?

2. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Wouldn't worry.

From first external pip. To starting to zip could take up to 24 hours.

They usually take a little break.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    xs 2 Many times all you see for the first few hours is a "bump" or crack in the shell. Then they will finally push a wee bit of shell off and sit like that a few more hours. I start investigating around 18 hours. (By making teh pip a little bigger to check on the position of the bird. Usually everything looks ok and I give them 24 hours before I start an actual assist.

4. silkercoocoo

silkercoocoo New Egg

May 10, 2015
    Ontario Canada
    Okay, Wonderful! I was just concerned because in a lot of peoples posts, the pip is rather quick, and then I seen my little egg and her pip is rather slow. Thank you for your feed back :) I super appreciate it as I'm rather excited about these eggies.
    well, technically they're my moms eggies, but I'm still really excited/nervous/anxious after reading so much in these forums I needed to actually ask.

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That's what the forum is here for. [​IMG] And [​IMG]

6. silkercoocoo

silkercoocoo New Egg

May 10, 2015
    Ontario Canada
    I'm so glad :) I'm excited for these little chickies
    and for the community support
    I'm very much hoping all the little guys will do alright