First Time Hatch..HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by emmanoz, Feb 18, 2013.

1. emmanoz

emmanoz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    It's our first time hatching and we only have 2 eggs remaining from 7 (we lost all the others early in incubation). We are on day 21 today and one of the eggs started to rock last night. She was very animated last night and responding to voices, but she hasn't pipped yet and the movment is becoming less often and only a small shudder when you speak to her. Is this normal and is there anything we should be doing to help? I know I'm probably just being over anxious but having lost the others I'd hate to get her this far and loose her too!!!!

2. ChckenBoy13

ChckenBoy13 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Claremont, NC
    It is normal for it to take breaks every now and then after it has pipped and I don't think there is any need to be worried on day 21. If it continues to chirp and move tomorrow, you may want the help it a little and chip off a little piece of shell to allow it more room. If you just leave it alone and encourage it a little bit by speaking to it, it should do fine. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. emmanoz

Feb 18, 2013
    Thanks ChickenBoy13, my concern is that she hasn't pipped yet, just a but paranoid that she could be suffocating in there!!!

4. ChckenBoy13

Feb 16, 2013
    Claremont, NC
    I would say give another day. Some chicks hatch a day or two late. They have an air sac so I don't think that they would be suffocating in their egg. Keep us updated!

5. emmanoz

Feb 18, 2013
    I'll try and sit back and chill out!!! Hopefully I'll be reporting a healthy little one tomorrow!!! [​IMG]

6. ChckenBoy13

Feb 16, 2013
    Claremont, NC
    I hope so too! Just make sure you follow all precautions and make sure to leave the chick in the incubator for a day after it hatches to dry it out. I was really anxious the first time I hatched eggs and almost wanted to jerk the eggs out and crack them open myself... but I resisted it! Be sure to post some pics later!

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    WHEN she has been chirping and NOT externally pipped for well over 18-24 hours I would start reading on what to do...... and how to make an external pip and see whats going on or you could loose her if the shell is really thick and the rest could be in jepardy as well. ITS A SLOW PROCESS!! READ THE ARTICLE THOROUGHLY! AGAIN I am NOT sure of your time frame its up to you to judge when to intervien AFTER reading this article IN FULL! https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching [​IMG] I had to assist our last batch of serama because I lost two chirpers and thought they would be ok and then I wated too long, not saying this is your case, but when I tried to do the external pip I noted how thick that shell was, and in the end I had to externally pip and assist 7 and they are all doing well and growing fast! ITS A SLOW PROCESS to help a chick!! READ READ and you will see why!

8. emmanoz

Feb 18, 2013
    Thanks for the advice guys, we stepped in this morning as her struggles were getting weaker and weaker and she stopped responding!! The shell was indeed very very very thick and hard and the membrane was dry and tight around her!! She also totally fills the egg!! We have dampened the membrane and her beak has popped through, she is currently resting on a damp towel in the incubator, with the humidity dialed up!! Taking her first few breaths, now for the waiting game!! [​IMG]

9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I thought so from looking at that outer membrane! dont forget to update us!! [​IMG]

10. emmanoz

Feb 18, 2013
    She's still waiting, poor little one seems totally knackered!! She's moving around a bit more now but the membrane still has some blood vessels so we're just keeping her moist and warm....can't wait to meet her now!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by