First time hatch

richred1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 16, 2015
Dickinson Texas
So, my hen surprised a little while back and started laying and sitting in eggs that I didn't know were there. Last year, although they were only a year old, they stopped laying during the summer. FYI: they are my first flock ever. So, I just assumed that was what was happening. Anyhow, I decided to let my best girl stay with the eggs she was so clearly attached to and give her a chance at being mom. Yesterday, my first one hatched (so exciting!). So, I was wondering how long to do I let her keep the eggs under her before I assume they are duds? She hasn't attempted getting off the nest but for a minute or two. Although, I am super excited about having babies, I am more concerned with breaking her pattern. I don't want to chance I pull them too soon. Anyone have any advice for me? Oh yeah, keep in mind that I have know idea when all this started. Thanks y'all!

Let her stay on for at least 1 1/2 days if she doesn't get off before then. She'll know when it's a good time to get off! Congrats on your chicks!
love.gif

Thank you so much! I let her sit on the other extras an extra 48 hours but she started kicking them around a lot more...not like how she was moving them before with her beak in a seemingly gentle way...but more in the way she wanted them out of her way. I figured she was done. I ended up with 2 out of 9 but hey I got new chicks as a surprise. So I'm happy with that!

Back
Top Bottom