First Time Hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jpepmiller, Mar 27, 2017.

1. jpepmiller

jpepmiller Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2017
    Louisiana
    I'm in the process of finishing up my first hatch in an incubator. I'm on day 16, so I'm getting close to lockdown. Is it ok to leave them in the egg turner with it off or do I need to take the turner out? Also, my eggs are upright with the big part of the egg facing up. If I take the egg turner out, do I need to keep them in that position or is it okay to lay them on their side? Thanks in advance.

2. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    I prefer the upright position to hatch.helps eliminate chicken soccer.

I do it in cut down eggs cartons. But some prefer laying down. Either way will work.

3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I always remove the egg turner because its not needed any more and it will get messy when the eggs start hatching plus a chick can get hung in it and I being a hands Off hatcher would not want that problem. Laying them on their side, increasing the humidity---let them hatch----Good Luck

4. amoryarabians

amoryarabians New Egg

Mar 28, 2017
    Arley, ALABAMA USA
    On my first hatch also - have a reptipro and brinsea octagon. Repti eggs are due tomo/weds and half of the brinsea are due today.

So far I have 5 out with 5 pipping :) I am trying to stay hands off but the brinsea is crowded and I have the bottom of the repti set up as an empty hatching space. I have a wet new chick in there now, and the 4 other fluffies in a brood box.

I read in another thread someone said removing chicks would kill the others that were due to hatch and I was just wondering by what mechanism? Because the lag time when I'm in and out of the bators and time it takes to rebound temp and humidity is nil (esp in the brinsea).

I candled and culled at 14 days and everyone looked great then! <3

5. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Not by Mechanism!!! Some of us are hands-off, some are hands-on. I had real bad luck opening my incubators during the 3 day hatch some years back as well as Many, Many other family and friends. So now I Never open mine and I have real good hatch rates---100% a good portion of the time. My Family and friends started having real good hatch rates too---after they waited for all the eggs to hatch before opening---(guess we needed to learn how to be hands on)----Having said that----after getting on this site I found a lot of Hands-On--Hatchers that are having good hatch rates too so I will respect them and say you can open and remove if you ask and follow the ones that have a good hatch rate's advise!! I personally will stay hands off because I am not going to mess with something that is working almost perfect!! Good Luck

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  6. amoryarabians

amoryarabians New Egg

Mar 28, 2017
    Arley, ALABAMA USA
    I just meant what mechanism of biology. Because the brinsea is super crowded, and I was concerned that one of my Pipped & zipped chicks was possibly stuck under a part of the bator, i quickly opened the incubator, picked up the bottom half of the egg with a chick still in it and put it in my repti bator, which is also up to temp and up to humidity and close the doors. It's not even 10 seconds before both incubators are back up to temp and humidity, so it seems like the possibility of the chicks catching a chill and dying is pretty small. Also the humidity in both incubators is around 6570%, so not sure if pips would cool down and dry off enough to die in those brief 10 second intervals. And those incidents happen maybe once or twice a day.

Just curious about the science :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by