1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time hatcher - everything look ok?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gahorseygal, Nov 1, 2016.

1. gahorseygal

gahorseygal New Egg

Mar 24, 2016
    [​IMG]

We saved this guy from a broody hen that abandoned her clutch of eggs. She had stepped on one egg but this guy survived. Does everything look ok? Are we just waiting for the zipper now? Help!

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Did the chick zip? From your photo, it looks on track for hatching with the external pip.

3. gahorseygal

gahorseygal New Egg

Mar 24, 2016
    No it never zipped. I started to get worried last night because you could see it trying to peck at the membrane but nothing was happening. I ended up assisting and helped it hatch out. It's peeping and scooting around a bit but not walking yet when I just checked at lunch time. It seems to have a weak right side, looks like it can't push up on that side like it can on the other.

4. FoodFreedomNow

Glad you had a good outcome. Sometimes they're weak after having a difficult hatch - supplements like Sav-A-Chick may help it as it gains strength, but it can take a couple of days.

Please keep us updated on the chick's progress. [​IMG]

5. gahorseygal

gahorseygal New Egg

Mar 24, 2016
    Thanks!

6. FoodFreedomNow

You're welcome!

7. gahorseygal

gahorseygal New Egg

Mar 24, 2016
    So we think it's got spraddle leg on one side so we made a little hobble, hopefully he's looking better tomorrow. He looks good otherwise!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by