1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time hatcher! HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sterlingb, Feb 13, 2013.

1. sterlingb

sterlingb Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2013
    Shreveport, LA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So my husband and I decided to try our hand at incubating some eggs! I'm really nervous because we've never done it and I'm hoping(fingers crossed) we're doing it right! we put 23 eggs in the incubator 4 days ago. I want to try and candle a few but i'm afraid I'll mess up the temp. at what day is the best day to candle? and can i do them all or should i just wait and see. I would have to be incubating a bunch of infertile eggs. HELP!! what do i need to do? :) I'm new to this forum and love it!! everyone is so helpful and informative!

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I tis okay to candle on day five. Don't worry too much about the temp. but maybe take out 1/2 batch at a time to check. in natural hatching hens leave the nest for 15 20 mins a day.

1 person likes this.
  3. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Ok, first take out at least one red plug. Eggs need oxygen and emit carbon dioxide so you need to circulate air in to keep them from being poisoned. At this age it isn't too big of a deal, the CO2 increases with the development of the egg.

On candling, I candle days 7, 10, 14

Day 7 there should be development so I will mark any that concern me
    Day 10 is mostly to recheck any that were questionable and remove any dead/infertiles
    Day 14, recheck to be sure I didn't miss a bad egg.

With shipped eggs candle on day 17/18 to mark the shapes of the air cells. If they are funky then they need to be set in cartons for lockdown.

4. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
  5. sterlingb

Feb 12, 2013
    Shreveport, LA
    thanks everyone!!! So i just candled half of the eggs and i saw the spider thing in all but 2 and those eggs were a little darker and harder to see through. I will candle the rest tonight when the hubs gets home so he can check it out also!! I'll let yall know how they do!! Thanks for all your help and info!! #Newchickenlady!

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Below are my incubating notes! Feel free to have a look!
    Hatching 101 ~ Guide to ASSISTED Hatching ~ Mushy Chick Disease ~ Cooler Bator ~ Duckling Care

also I would remove the red plugs... this is a paste from the hatching 101 Article

[​IMG][​IMG]

VENTILATION (OXYGEN)
    Ventilation is VERY important during the incubation process. While the embryo is developing, oxygen enters the egg through the shell and carbon dioxide escapes. The embryo's oxygen requirement will increases during development and especially just before hatching when they begin lung functions. Unobstructed ventilation holes, both above and below the eggs, are essential for proper air exchange. I remove both vent plugs for my entire hatch.
    NOTE: When Lockdown occurs, vent openings are frequently restricted in an attempt to boost incubator humidity. Instead of helping the chick hatch, the chick is suffocated from lack of oxygen. Never decrease ventilation openings at hatching in an attempt to increase humidity. Increase humidity by other methods. If any vent adjustments are made, they should be opened more. Try adding a dampened sponge or towel to help boost humidity during lockdown.

Good luck!

7. sterlingb

Feb 12, 2013
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok what's lockdown? I feel dumb asking but I've never done this before so figured I'd ask. I also removed both vent plugs from bator. Fingers crossed I'm doing it right!

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    When I started incubating I didn't even know I was supposed to lockdown, never mind what it meant! [​IMG]

Basically, you stop turning the eggs after day 18, up the humidity in the incubator to around 60-65% and try not to open the incubator unless you absolutely have to. During the last 3 days the chicks will get into position to hatch and the higher humidity will help keep them and the membranes wet, so they won't get stuck in the egg. Read through this article: Hatching 101 I see Sally already posted a bit above. It's great and it will tell you everything you need to know about incubation.

9. welly

welly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    Red Sox nation MA.
    Hi folks
    First timer here.I am getting ready to put my eggs in my Genesis 1588 hova bator that I just purchased new it has been running for the past 2 days the temp is fluxing from 99.3-99.7 and the humidity has been at 42% are those numbers good for the first 18 days.Also the red vent plug should I leave that in or out for the first 18 days any help would be much appreciated
    Thank you

10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 scroll to humidity sections

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by