First time hatcher, home made or store bought incubator???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tororider, May 1, 2008.

1. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    I think I have the skills to make a bator, but with this being my first time I am looking for suggestinos as to whether I should buy one or make one and which I would be more likely to be successful with. I am guessing that not even including building it, the store bought would be less work. Thanks

2. ChelleEnchanted

ChelleEnchanted Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Ohio
    I would purchase a cheap incubator seeing as how it's your first time. It'd also be helpful should you decide to build your own in the future, as you can get great ideas from having another incubator in the house.

Just my thoughts on this, i'm sure others could help you more.

3. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    If I buy one, I was thinking of getting the genesis rather than the little giant. From everything I have read I will be much happier if I do that. Any other opinions?

4. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Since this is your first time hatching, I would go ahead and order the genesis. That way your first hatch with be very succesful [​IMG] and then if you do deciede you want a second 'bator(which ofcorse you will, it's an addiction [​IMG]) you can build it but it something goes wrong you always have that one as a back up. Good luck!

5. GotCochins?

GotCochins? Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2008
    Owens Cross Roads, AL.
    buy the genesis.it takes little know how to operate and if you go on the cheaper side and have a bad first incubation stage, you may get discouraged.also, the genesis will hold its value if you decide to sell it.imo, 100 or so buck for an incubator isnt that much compared to all the other costs of being a chicken addict.

6. skennedy

skennedy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Denham Springs, LA
    Quote:I love my Little Giant 10200 forced air incubator with the egg turner. I have hatched 2 batches of eggs, the first had a 77% hatch rate and the second a 91% hatch rate. I cannot find any problems with my LG![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by