First-Time hatcher just set Feb. 13 7:00pm

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SkippyRoo, Feb 14, 2012.

1. SkippyRoo

SkippyRoo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Mendocino CA.
    Hi everyone,

So I got a Farm innovations 4200 w/fan and turner and set 36 eggs tonight

15 Red Sussex bought from ebay seller
    12 Red Star mix from my girls
    5 Buff Orphington mix my girls
    4 EE mix my girls

ok so it is settled on 99-101 degrees and with the plugs in about 50% humidity
    and now its bedtime

anyone else set tonight?

visualizing energetic and furry puffballs!!!

2. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I set last night as well. I have 15 EE eggs in the bator with one being questionable. The egg in question seemed porous upon candling it before being placed in the incubator.

I have my hatch date set for March 5 but will give the hatch until the 8 before calling it quits. Hopefully all goes well.

Good luck on your hatch!

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Sounds like a loooooong 21 days to come. Also, 50% humidity during the first 18 days seems high to me. I wish you luck.

4. SkippyRoo

Feb 9, 2012
    Mendocino CA.
    Hi Comptons,

Great! Oh I didn't even think of candling the eggs before setting them. I did set a couple of my buff orphington's eggs that seemed pourus a little rough to the touch. Is there a potential problem with pourus eggs?

What type of bator are you using?

good luck!!!

Scott

5. SkippyRoo

Feb 9, 2012
    Mendocino CA.
    Hi Nurse Turtle,

Yea, i decided to leave the plugs out and now the humidity is hanging around 35%. thanks for the heads up. I can see how adding water would keep the humidity pretty high. This is my first hatch but i am trusting the dry hatch method from what i've been reading here on the forum.

thanks

Scott

6. comptonsgonecountry

Apr 12, 2011

7. SkippyRoo

Feb 9, 2012
    Mendocino CA.
    Comptons,

Ok so I am curious what are the signs of a porous egg?

8. comptonsgonecountry

Apr 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

Here is an example of what a porous egg would look like during the candling process. My egg that I'm concerned about isn't this bad but it's close. I hope this helped you!

9. SkippyRoo

Feb 9, 2012
    Mendocino CA.
    Great! Thanks for showing me that! i just candled all of the eggs I have for eating and most of them are lightly speckled but one or two are closer to the one you posted. So is that caused by insufficient calcium in their feed? From what i have gathered so far it is important to feed breeders more nutrient dense feed that your layers. So it seems that extra calcium sources maybe in order as apart of that. i have been giving my hens some dairy, usually cottage cheese a couple of times a week as well as the oyster shell. i will play with this some and see what kind of results i get in the porosity of the eggs.

So much to learn and explore in the wide world of chickens[​IMG] thanks,

Scott

10. comptonsgonecountry

Apr 12, 2011
    I'm still playing around with my feed ratio. I feed my mixed flock that has layers, a rooster and a pullet... a flock ratio feed. It doesn't have added calcium in the pellets because of the rooster and pullet. I heard the extra calcium could be harmful to the rooster and pullet. I do feed the egg shells back to my girls and give the flock yogurt once every week to every other week. Oh, I also give them scratch mixed with their feed during the winter. Reason being is they need all the extra fat on their bones they can get to stay warm. Luckily for us, we didn't have a to bad of a winter so far.

I'm going on my second year of raising chickens and I'm still learning so much from BYC. The majority of everyone on here as been more than helpful!

Good luck and keep us posted on your hatch.

~ Chrissy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by