1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time hatcher - mixed results

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jasonbennett1, Apr 20, 2009.

1. jasonbennett1

jasonbennett1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Using LG still air without egg turner. Turned eggs as often as possible; never less than twice a day. Started with 14 OEG eggs.
    Results:
    2 unhatched
    7 hatched normal looking/doing well
    5 hatched but abnormal

The 5 hatched out, but didn’t do well. They had corkscrew looking necks, enlarged abdomens, and couldn’t right themselves. They just kept flopping on their backs and twitching. I was told to just put them down as they won’t be able to eat or drink and will die slowly. I think a hen would have just left them behind had they been hatched naturally.

Was this caused by something I did, or didn’t do?

2. jasonbennett1

Jan 14, 2009
    North Central Florida
    no one's going to take a swing at this?

3. gaeamama

gaeamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2007
    WMass.
    Did you take any pictures of the abnormal ones? What do you mean by corkscrew looking necks?

I don't have any answers for you, but sometimes pics help.

4. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I know exactly what you ar talking about because I had it happen to a few I incubated in a still air incubator. However, I dont know WHY it happened and would like to have information on that as well!

5. jasonbennett1

Jan 14, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Quote:Did you have an egg turner? My brother raises chickens and he says it's from not turning them enough.

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    No, I dont have a turner, I have just turned them manually, three times a day and quickly because I didnt want to open the incubator excessively. My most successful hatches were using the dry incubation method and then upping the humidity for the last three days.
    Your brother is probably right about the whole turner thing. I guess I will have to invest in one![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by