First time Hatcher need help !

Noelkeen

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2019
Hey guys first time buck Hatcher here. I had a baby crack his shell about 11 am yesterday (24 hours ago) his hole hasnt gotten any bigger and i can see his beak hes still alive but not making any progress on his egg at all. I had another one craxk his egg around the same time and was out about 12 hours later. Im worried about the one still in his shell because ive seen SO many things that could be going wrong what should i do ? And how long should i leave the baby born last night in the incubator ? Any advice or tips would be helpful

I just hatched my first eggs a couple weeks ago so I well understand the anxiety!

My first one broke through, just as you described, and then went back to sleep for the next day. When he/she was ready, he/she zipped around and emerged. Later eggs went faster. One came out looking so wet and weak and just didn't seem to make any progress at all. We went to sleep thinking we'd wake to tragedy. In fact, we woke up to a vigorous chick doing fine and indistinguishable from her brothers/sisters.

The thing is, some will be ready to thrive. Some won't be equipped to go on. We had 2 eggs that went no where. But, in any case, rest assured you're doing what you can to give them a good start. ...and that there will be more chicks in your future over time.

It's pretty exciting to see them get up and stumble around, no? My husband and I are senior citizens and I don't remember either of us being so giddy in a L-O-N-G time. He even called every few hours the first couple days to see how they were doing and made everyone at the office watch his videos. :lau

What did you use to incubate them? How are you brooding them?

I just hatched my first eggs a couple weeks ago so I well understand the anxiety!

My first one broke through, just as you described, and then went back to sleep for the next day. When he/she was ready, he/she zipped around and emerged. Later eggs went faster. One came out looking so wet and weak and just didn't seem to make any progress at all. We went to sleep thinking we'd wake to tragedy. In fact, we woke up to a vigorous chick doing fine and indistinguishable from her brothers/sisters.

The thing is, some will be ready to thrive. Some won't be equipped to go on. We had 2 eggs that went no where. But, in any case, rest assured you're doing what you can to give them a good start. ...and that there will be more chicks in your future over time.

It's pretty exciting to see them get up and stumble around, no? My husband and I are senior citizens and I don't remember either of us being so giddy in a L-O-N-G time. He even called every few hours the first couple days to see how they were doing and made everyone at the office watch his videos. :lau

Im not sure how long to brood them. I have mom duck on eggs now in her house she just didnt want to lay on these ones after spending her first lay on 30 eggs. I think she just needed a break. But i dont know if i should keep them in a seperate cage umder a heat lamp or if she will take them on as her own still. I completely went into this blind even though i tried reading as much as i could about it.

Ah! Ducks!

I only have experience with chickens. I hope a knowledgable duck person will weigh in. But I'm advised to keep heat available for my chicks for about 4 weeks until they feather out.

I use a cave shaped of hardware cloth and a Mama Heating Pad over it so they can choose the time and the amount of heat they want. I would imagine a heat lamp works about the same.

What kind of ducks?

We used to be the weekend and holiday "parents" for my daughter's kindergarten's Mallards. I LOVED those birds but holy moley did they do a job on my garden and our pool!!! Of course we weren't properly equipped for them. Just our backyard and a kennel for them to go in for the night.

We fenced in part of our backyard for them and put a kiddie pool in but they used to do a number on my backyard where it would flood. Theyre golden 300 hybrids i got them at rural king last year for my birthday. I also have 7 chickens that have a seperate pen because my male duck (i have 2 males and 1 female currently) is horrible to anything that isnt the ducks hes with. Idk how hes going to do with the babies once they get to go in with them. I seen only that they recognize their own but im worried he will still try to hurt them. This is our first round of babies. I have a heat lamp and everything ready for them when they are able to go into it.

Also is it normal that the one that hatched last night is kinda picking at the one that hatched minutes ago ?

Back
Top Bottom