First time hatcher on day 20. please help.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amijab, Feb 25, 2012.

1. amijab

amijab Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    I should have got on here before because I don't know if I have messed everything up. I have a brinsea incubator that holds seven eggs. The automatic egg turner has not turned today so I guess i am in lock down. But...I had to lift the lid to put more water in and take out the egg turner. So now i am worried that the humidity will not be high enough. I don't understand how I can not open to refill the water if the water evaporates? Also I hear a chick chirping, that does not look like i spelled that right. But I only hear one. What is zipping and pipping? Well i hope i get through this or atleast some chicks get through this. Any help would be so great.
    thanks,
    Mandy in Kaysville, Utah

2. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Oh I know it is nerve wracking! I think the most important thing now is to not open the incubator. Let them do their thing, it could take 24 hours or more. Opening the incubator after a chick has pipped could dry out the chick and it could get stuck inside that dried out egg.
    oh...
    peeping= the chirps you hear
    pipping= cracking that first little hole in the egg
    zipping= when the chick starts cracking the top off its egg, like unzipping the egg.
    and then hatch!
    Good luck!

3. amijab

Dec 30, 2011
    ok i don't say any pipping just peeping. But what do I do about the water. In order to keep humidity up I have to make sure water is there but I can't open the incubator to fill it.

4. amijab

Dec 30, 2011
    That was supposed to say I don't "see" any pipping just peeping.

5. amijab

Dec 30, 2011
    and i guess i dont "see" peeping, just "hear" peeping[​IMG]

6. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    lol...late? lol
    I gotchya. If it was me... and there was no pipping yet and the humidity was too low, I would warm up some water and put it in as quickly as ya could. Then don't open it again. When the first egg hatches the humidity seems to jump up a little. Just the humidity from the egg I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by