first time hatcher on day 21... pip question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AthensFlock, Feb 18, 2015.

1. AthensFlock

AthensFlock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2014
    I've (im)patiently waited in lock down and day 21 is here!!! I woke up to find no pips, but by lunch there's 3 with pretty weak cracks... No obvious break in the membrane, just cracked. Now it's quiet... Wondering if membranes are dry, etc. Is this normal? All the pics on the computer shows those big open holes. If it helps, I have a brinsea 20 with temp at 99.5f and humidity at 65% for the past 2 days. The vent is fully opened.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Wsiting is hard work! I don't know about brinsea settings but remember that 24 hours after you put them in begins the day one count. Sounds like everything is progressing alright. I've worked with cabinet and stryofoam, not brinsea, but I think this is the part we all walk the floor and look and look and look at the incubator... Keep us posted:)

3. AthensFlock

Jun 29, 2014
    I will bargain!!! And I didn't think about the counting.. So lots of day 20 excitement! The second one that popped through now has a pip hole like I've seen online... So I'm just being a nervous "mom". Just reading the horror stories of hatch fails really puts me on edge a bit.

4. AthensFlock

Jun 29, 2014
    [​IMG]

Two hatched last night and they're waiting on #3 now!!!

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Ah ha!!!! so sweet! [​IMG]

6. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Congrats! Chicks! Yay!

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

7. AthensFlock

Jun 29, 2014
    So far, there's 5 out. I took a quick second to pull the energetic first 3 out so the others have room (and a bit of peace)... One seems a little weak, trying not get that "underdog" attachment. Does this get easier???

8. AthensFlock

Jun 29, 2014
    12 out of 13 are out!!! Last one is prob going to get tested later. I had to help the last chick out... It had unzipped but the membrane seemed to have dried a bit to much to make the final push. Fingers crossed it makes it! [​IMG]

9. ScenicViews

ScenicViews Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2015
    King, NC
    Oooo too sweet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by