First time Hatcher pull the red plugs y/n? plus more ???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BBK, Jan 19, 2010.

1. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    ok, i've got my new Christmas present, Hovabator with air, set up and have been steady at 100.2 and 51 hum.

Humidity, is it ok? Where should I be with this? And through the whole process?

I've been reading Sonew's thread on her hatching and everyone else's hatch. and i see that they're spiking after a couple of days....so...

Should I just keep those RED PLUGS out of the holes and calibrate the temps for that? Would that work...?

And...
    Any suggestion about egg carton hatches? I've put holes in the bottom of each egg holder.

one more question.
    I'm going to turn my eggs from the outside with a? should i use a 3X3 or a 4X4? How much of an incline do they need? Plus i was thinking I wouldn't have to open the bator that much...What do you think?

I've got
    6 of my own silkies
    7 Wellsummers
    and i'm waiting for a dozen of SLWyandottes
    hoping for Thursday night.

Melinda

2. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Have you set the eggs already?
    Your humidity is to high for the first 18 days. You need to remove some water. I keep mine at around 35%. Get it to about 65% last three days.
    Usually humidity will spike when your babies are hatching.....leave it alone it will go back down.
    You need to be turning your eggs while they are waiting to go in also, three times a day.

I use egg cartons to hatch in and they do very well, I use the foam so they don't absorb moisture from the eggs and air.

I keep 1 red plug in the first 18 days and remove it the last 3.

If you are tilting the carton from end to end then about an inch and a half lift. If it is side to side only an inch will be good for your tilt.

Also you may want to put in sponges just in case you need the the last 3 days for extra humidity.
    I also use a syringe and a flex straw to add water to trays when needed.

Good luck on your hatch [​IMG]

3. BBK

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    I have not set them yet, waiting for the SLW, so I was hoping for Thursday NIGHT...

How do I get the humidity down. I have folded up paper towels in the chambers, just take one or 2 out, I have three in there.

I have been tilting the eggs while they sit. But they're in cardboard egg cartons, but I have 2 styrofoam ones, I'll get them together today....

Thanks for your help Shiningfeather....

Melinda

I tried to get online last night, but I couldn't get in to read anything, must be fixed!

4. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    You could also just leave the plugs out until the humidity drops by itself. 51 is not too high to start, just don't add any water until it gets as low as 25-30. It won't take as long as you think to come down.

5. BBK

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    Well, i pulled the plugs last night and nothing really changed except for the temp and it only went down a little. So, this morning after reading the posts, i took out 2 of the paper towels and the humidity has gone down to 44 so far.... and replaced one of the plugs.

So, what is the correct humidity? give or take? Do i tried to keep it at 25-30, can it go up a little. What's the farthest it can go up and DOWN?

And I keep the temps at 100 correct? Now what happens when the temps spike? Do I just open the bator? Or do I play with the gauge?

Thanks
    melinda

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Different people do it a little differently (humidity) ... I incubate with 30 - 35% and then hatch at 60 -65%.

Temperature ...?? Do you have a still air, or do you have a fan?
    Circulated (fan) is 99.5
    Still air is 101.5 (I think this is correct. I have never used a still air)
    This is the temperature ON TOP of the eggs.

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:You can let it drop down to 25%.

8. BBK

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    ok.... My humidity is down to 38% and that's after taken the 2 paper towels out. temp has been hovering at 100.? The tenths change. Should I get that temp down to 99.

I have a hovabaotr w/a fan. no turner.
    thanks for all of the help.

Melinda

9. quenston

quenston Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Wyandotte Ok
    With your bator I would say keep the temp at 99.5-100 and your humidity at 33-40% it doesnt hurt for the humidity to drop but I wouldnt let it drop below 25% and I usually allow a degree in temp fluctuation. just my .02 cents worth!!!

10. BBK

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    ok...with ALL of your help ... I think I'm ready for these eggs, they should be here this am....

I'm calling at 6AM to see. the tracking on USPS doen't update anything...It still says that they left GA the 19th....

Melinda [​IMG]

i'll start another post when I set them...hope you all can join me or just keep me on the straight and narrow...kinda like guardian angels.

forgot to say THANK YOU ...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by