First time hatcher questions! One out 12 in!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ilikethedesert, Jun 5, 2011.

1. ilikethedesert

ilikethedesert Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    Easton, CT
    I'd love any advice or encouragement! Today is day 21. I have 11 Silkie eggs and 4 of my neighbors Dutch variety. All were candled and looked viable lat week. One pipped around 8am and hatched [​IMG] around 6pm. It's now 11:34 and this little one, (who has alot of energy) is still wet and has some gooey stuff on it's back. There was alot more but I think it was absorbed. There is a white stringy looking thing on it's back. It's getting closer to standing up, but not there yet. So cute. So my questions:

How long does it take a silkie to dry? It's 100.4 degrees and 61% humidity.
    I see no other pips. Are they all doomed??????
    Should I go to bed and hope for something in the am. I totally won't sleep. Feel like I did when my human babies were all overdue.
    Seeing as they were all in the same incubator, I thought they would hatch in the same day. i guess Mother Nature has other plans....

any help?
    Steph

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

No they are not doomed. I often wait an extra two days for them to hatch. Silkies to me seem like they look like that for the better part of a week. Their feathers are not the normal down.

3. ilikethedesert

Sep 23, 2009
    Easton, CT
    Thank you!!! Alright. Off to try to sleep!

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG] You will be fine. Let them be. You will probably wake up to chicks.

5. ilikethedesert

Sep 23, 2009
    Easton, CT
    7:23 am and nothing more yet. The first one had what looked like it could be a yolk sack so I'm hoping it was an early hatcher and the rest will come out today!

6. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    come on little chickies [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Hope your babies hatch. Today is day 20 for me on my second hatch ever. First hatch only one hatched and then died the next day. [​IMG] I dont know what went wrong. But I am not giving up hope. [​IMG] Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by