First time hatcher! They are here!

lillyrosesmum

Chirping
Feb 13, 2016
East Texas
So today is day 21 and so far two beauties have made their appearance! :weee I have 10 in the bator and 9 have pipped! Here are the first two! :jumpy

I do have a quick question though. Is it normal for the temp to drop after a chick hatches? My temperatures have fluctuated very little throughout this process so I found it odd.
Maybe it is due to the increase in humidity? :idunno It drops from 98 to 96. It comes back up after the humidity levels out again. I'm just worried about chilling the babies. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Congrats on your babies!! Yay! So my temps do fluctuate a lot during hatching but usually with just a degree. I am wonder where you are measuring this temp at? Bottom of the bator? Is this still or forced air? Temp is a little low even at 98. I don't think you will chill them. They tend to dry pretty quick. Depending on what you have decided to do, leave all the chicks in until the hatch is done or remove them as they dry you could put them in the brooder. I pull mine as they dry. Lots of people don't but it works for me. I usually leave one or two chicks in to make some chirping noise to encourage the others but pull the drier ones.

Good job momma!!
1f423.png
1f44f.png

Thank you! We have actually hatched three more since this morning and everybody seems to be doing really great!:weee I also have two more unzipping and one more pip. So far I'm happy with the turn out.

During all of my research on incubation there were so many ways to hatch at the end and I just picked one. This method said to turn down the heat to 98 or 98.5 on day 20 and 21. :idunno Its my first hatch so I had to start somewhere! Lol! Its a forced air incubator and I am measuring in the middle and on the bottom with 3 separate kinds of thermometers. I've also increased the temp to 99 because i was worried. Lol! Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
#8 and #9 are here!:woot Just one more late bloomer. I was so scared to incubate. My husband had to talk me into it. I didn't want to kill any babies! I'm glad in turned out well.
Its so fun to watch those babies hatch! I was watching them all day like :pop

Hi there! Quick question I have a Coshin; a small breed sitting on eggs she has not left that I have seen. My other 12 hens are barredrocks. My rooster who has mated with the coshin is Americana mix Road Island Red. If the large breed can even breed with Coshin? Since my other hens are so much bigger than Coshin momma do I need to fence her off in the run? I'm afraid they may attack her babies also we still have colder temps at night here in Oklahoma mis 29-30s. They momma is all the heat the babies need correct? Thanks!!!

Honestly, I'm sure its fine. I'm no expert though. I've only kept chickens for about a year now.

My last baby hatched at some point during the night! That's 10 for 10! :celebrate I'm so excited! I will be moving the dryer ones to a brooder today!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom