First time hatcher with a few questions...

Discussion in 'Geese' started by BeeBee K, Feb 15, 2013.

1. BeeBee K

BeeBee K New Egg

Jun 12, 2012
    East Hampton, CT
    Good morning all!! I am a first time hatcher.. got our incubators in the mail the other day. I knew exactly where to turn for advice!! [​IMG]

1) How long can the eggs sit out before I put them in the incubator?? I have chicken, duck and goose eggs

2) I have 4 geese (2M, 2F) and 2 ducks (1M, 1F)... they all mate! Its pretty wild down there..lol. Will this "inter-species erotica" interfere with their eggs getting fertilized? Do I need to separate them by species?? They are all inseparable, never more than a few feet apart.. (they are free range)

3) I currently have 26 chicken eggs in an incubator...for some reason the temp dropped to 90 in it, will they be ok? I am only on day 2, the temp was down this morning when I went to turn the eggs...

That is all I have for now... I am sure I will have more questions later... thank you for any/all advice, tips...

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Good morning all!! I am a first time hatcher.. got our incubators in the mail the other day. I knew exactly where to turn for advice!! [​IMG]
    What kind of incubator did you get?
    1) How long can the eggs sit out before I put them in the incubator?? I have chicken, duck and goose eggs
    Eggs can be stored for up to two weeks (14 days), but after that you fertility will start to go down.
    2) I have 4 geese (2M, 2F) and 2 ducks (1M, 1F)... they all mate! Its pretty wild down there..lol. Will this "inter-species erotica" interfere with their eggs getting fertilized? Do I need to separate them by species?? They are all inseparable, never more than a few feet apart.. (they are free range)
    I have my ducks and geese separated from each other, because my ganders kept trying to kill the ducks.
    3) I currently have 26 chicken eggs in an incubator...for some reason the temp dropped to 90 in it, will they be ok? I am only on day 2, the temp was down this morning when I went to turn the eggs...
    Is your incubator a still air, or forced air? Forced air: 99.5 F, Still Air 101 F...I think I got those temps right. 90 F is too low.

That is all I have for now... I am sure I will have more questions later... thank you for any/all advice, tips...

~ Aspen

3. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by