first time hatcher!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lafollett11, Jan 10, 2015.

1. lafollett11

lafollett11 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    [​IMG]

Okay I bought my ducklings last spring, I have male and female rouen and a male pekin. My female started laying right as the snow came in here in illinois. I bought an incubator. I've been turning the eggs 3 times a day, and maintaining the 99.5 degree tempature. I wasn't prepared yet for this so I really have no idea whats going. Today is day 28 for the first egg. Well it's actually my 5th egg but the first 4 never grew inside. Well my eggs are starting to turn a blueish color like a shadow or something just curious if this is normal. And if anyone has any tips or advise to help me out for the hatching process. I feel like they are not full enough to be getting ready to hatch. I'm so nervous and scared. I want them all to survive. At least a few. Thanks ahead of time!!!

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    The ones that are turning dark have gone bad, you have some bad ones in there for sure. Give them a little sniff and you'll see. ;) You should take those out right away so they don't explode and contaminate your other eggs.

Good luck with the others! ^-^

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. lafollett11

May 4, 2014
    That's what I though but they all are turning like that and they do not smell. What causes this what did I do wrong?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  5. lafollett11

May 4, 2014
    Yes they all have stuff inside

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by