First time hatching a turkey! It hatched but there might be a problem!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by lovin my birds, Mar 8, 2012.

1. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    So my turkey hatched today. It took it 3 days to make it from a pip to hatching. But I think it still hatched to early. It hasnt absorbed everything yet. I saw a little bit of yolk left in the shell and there is still some stuff hanging out of its stomache. Should I be worried? There isnt any blood. But it isnt moving much. I understand it will be weak for a while but I am just really worried about it. I dont want to loose it. Please help! Give me some advice.

2. SonnyGirl

SonnyGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Pine Bush, NY
    I'm sorry but I don't have enough experience for this. I hope that someone responds quickly though! If there's no blood and it doesn't seem like it's FATALLY weak (not looking around, not able to stand), I would say it's hopeful. But I don't know if yolk left in the egg is normal or not. Have you tried to google it? Or even look at google images of hatched eggs?? I dunno... maybe you could find something if noone answers right away :(

3. FarmerGilland

FarmerGilland Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    On Top of the Mountain
    Mine didn't absorb everything and it's now 7 days old however it didn't have anything hanging out of it's tummy.....sorry I dunno what to tell you.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    How is the poult doing?

5. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    GREAT news everyone! My little baby is all dry, bright eyed, and running around like nothing is wrong. It still has a little scab on his tummy but is healing wonderfully. He is so cute! I am in love! I have found already they are so much different than chicks and ducks. He is so quiet and calm. And cuddly! He is definately going to be a spoiled brat! [​IMG]

6. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    I am in love! This little baby is adorable! I will try and get pics up tomorrow when i am off work.

8. SonnyGirl

SonnyGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Pine Bush, NY
    aww I'm so happy to hear that!! I didn't want to worry YOU, but that sounded kind of scarey!! lol I'm so glad your little poult is doing well. I fell head over heels last year when I got a three day old poult. They're so adorable and affectionate!

9. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    I know right now he is cuddled up in my lap asleep. He peeps every once in a while if I dont make any noise. Making sure mamma is still looking over him. I have his brooder set up in my room and he has finally accepted he cant sleep with me at night or he will get to cold. Oh and I might crush him. Lol! My parents think he is ugly but I think he is just adorable. I can wait for him to grow up. Is there any way to sex a poult. I kinda want to know if he is a girl or boy. Oh btw his name is Sonny! I figured it was a cute name and works for both boys and girls, and he is the color of sunshine. [​IMG]

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I am so glad that he is doing good. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by