First time hatching a turkey. LOOK!! PICS...Now what?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickfillhay, Jun 25, 2008.

1. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    Look at my little baby Wishbone.
    Still waiting on Leggy and Boobers [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. samapp

samapp Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2008
    Mississippi
    Aw , so cute. Good luck with the rest of your hatch.

3. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I love how you named him wishbone!

4. chickfillhay

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    He's all fluffy and white now. I think its time to move him to a brooder and feed him. I was worried at first because although he hatched himself out. There was a small amount of yolk that he detached himself from. I know with the chickens they absorb the entire thing. Well he didn't. And it took a while for him to get up and walk. But now he stands and sits in the right position, and is walking around. He gives me the look as if to say. OK, when are you gonna let me out? :mad:

5. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    That's a WONDERFULL IDEA, removin the extra egg trays like that.I can see how it drasticaly reduces open bator time when movin eggs from turner to floor.

6. chickfillhay

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    YES! It was an emergency situation. The hens stopped sitting on the eggs. And I already had chicken eggs in the bator who are not ready to hatch yet. So I am taking a big risk. I moved the turkey eggs that still looked good inside. I removed the extra trays and put a cloth at the sides so the turkey won't get caught behind the turner. I learned by seeing. "Cause Wishbone had already gotten her/himself stuck back there once. The cloth on the floor is for comfort.
    THANKS! [​IMG]

7. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    Turkeys supposedly need more help learning to eat and drink than chicks-- but I did it all "wrong" and had chicks at the same time in the same brooder- they still hang out together- though the turkeys tower over them- they lay down together in a huge pile ( they have a roost- they are just goofy-LOL).My Poults are named Drumstick and WIshbone.

8. chickfillhay

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    I was gonna ask that next. HOW do you teach a poult to eat? I dip his beak in water and this last time Wishbone actually took a drink on his own.
    But feeding is a whole other issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by