1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time hatching and I've already made a mistake!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by goldie1234, May 11, 2016.

1. goldie1234

goldie1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2015
    Day one and I've already made a mistake!!!!

I split 16 eggs between 2 broodies last night. This afternoon one of the girls was in the run off the eggs I have no idea for how long. She has been broody for a little over a week. She was eating so I didn't worry. About 10 minutes later I noticed she was on the roost. I panicked and felt her eggs. They weren't really super warm so I stuffed all but one under the other broody and threw fake eggs in her box.

I went back down about 30 minutes later and she was back on her eggs. I then pulled a few from the other broody and removed the fakes. Have I screwed up? Should I block the run and put the feeder and waterer in the coop? They were both broody for a while before I gave them eggs.

Now one has 11 and she has about 4. Should I even it out more? I'm so mad at myself!

The broodies are in a coop with an attached run by themselves.

Any advise?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I would give her back the eggs and watch her. It's normal for them to get out and stretch their legs. It's a good thing, it's natural. If she is doing it frequently throughout the day, I'd be concerned. Some of the newer incubators now actually have a cool down period for the eggs (about an hour I think) to mimick the natural action of the hen leaving the nest to do her duties. It takes longer for the egg internally to cool down.

3. goldie1234

goldie1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2015
    Ok, she's back on about 6 or 7 eggs. Hopefully she'll stay!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by