First time hatching call ducks need help.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Soaring Chicks, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    Hello,
    I have 8 call ducks that are starting to pip. I know they need a higher humidity.
    What I want to know is 70% ok with a small wet humidity pad beside them be fine or do they need it higher?
    Thanks

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Mine have hatched at 75-80%, being closer to 75 with slight increase as they hatch. Good luck with your hatch, be sure to share pictures.

3. Soaring Chicks

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    Crap! Just left for work. Well the Dickey bator is holding street at 70% then I added the wet humidity pad right beside them so hopefully it will go up enough for them to hatch.
    I sure hope so! [​IMG] I so need to get this down for my own eggs that a coyote killed my breeders.
    I'm worried as two pipped yesterday but have not moved along. I have hatched duck eggs ,but I keep hearing how hard call ducks are to hatch. Thanks for your input.

4. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Don't forget they can take HOURS from pip to zip to hatch. Check them when you get home, feel free to PM. I am no expert, but have had good CD hatch results so far.

Sorry to hear about your adults.

5. Soaring Chicks

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    Yeah after hatching turkeys,button quial ,chicks,ducks,bantams. You would think it would be easier to set and watch and wait.
    I got my trio and fell in love with them it about broke my heart when I came home from work and found them gone and then my son saw the coyote. My pond just is not the same with out those wonderful calls on it.
    Thanks for your help.

6. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Very welcome, I feel the same way. Keep in touch and good luck with this hatch.

7. Soaring Chicks

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    I did it!!! Had some hatch and others still to hatch upped the humidity some so happy! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Trying to figure out how to get from phone to site.
    Then I will post picture of the one that is dry.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  8. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    YES! [​IMG]. I use photo bucket from my phone and copy the img code over to here.

9. Skittlez

Skittlez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Rockford
    I am sorry to hear about your breeders. A fox killed all mine 3 weeks ago. I just hatched 5 out of the orphan eggs. I had to assist all 5, 1 didn't make it. I have 3 more eggs under a broody that were a week behind. You are lucky to have some hatch on their own. If the others are stalled, open the egg around the bill for more air and see if that gives them a start. I still have 2 in the bator absorbing yolk. Congrats on your new babies. This was quite the experience for me (and nerve wracking). Don't forget pics!

10. Soaring Chicks

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    I am trying but the site and my lap top does not like my phone pic. I will post some from my carmera after the others hatch.
    Thanks for the info. and sorry about yours too. It really sucks! Thankfully mine had just started laying and I was able to get eggs and everyone took and is due to hatch next week.
    These are chocolates and greys that are hatching. Just so darn cute![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by